Go 910 FM Transmitter

TomTom Model(s)
GO 910
Have tried to tune in the GO frequency to my car radio, and it doesn't pickup; have tried many MHZ...the GO's sound is set to FM!

what can be the problem here, plz?

Firstly have you got the special mount for the 910 that includes the FM Transmitter as the FM portion is actually in the mount rather than the device.
When purchased new the 910 came with a standard (non FM Tx mount), to get the FM Tx option working you needed to purchase an additional mount.

Another software update rendered the FM Tx useless due to a European directive, a way around this was to set the iPOD player playing music and then the unit would use the FM Tx when connected to the special car mount, without the music player in use the device won't use the FM Tx - Mike

Thx, Mike, for this info! :)

Do you mean this mount?:
9h299e.jpg

you mention the iPod...I guess this would mean connecting a cable first, or?

also, where can I get this 'special mount' you mention?

Firstly have you got the special mount for the 910 that includes the FM Transmitter as the FM portion is actually in the mount rather than the device.
When purchased new the 910 came with a standard (non FM Tx mount), to get the FM Tx option working you needed to purchase an additional mount.

Another software update rendered the FM Tx useless due to a European directive, a way around this was to set the iPOD player playing music and then the unit would use the FM Tx when connected to the special car mount, without the music player in use the device won't use the FM Tx - Mike

The iPOD player is built in to the 910, look in the "Multi-Media" menu option to find it.
As for the mount I very much doubt you will find one for sale these days, they were only sold for a short period before the x20 product range was launched which meant that x10 accessories were discontinued - Mike

thx, Mike! I do know about the iPod function, but was asking how it could be connected? Is it cable? Also, have you tried the Tom Player FM function Welcome to Tomplayer I guess it won't work either?

The iPOD player support uses an accessory cable which plugs in to the same socket on the mount as the RDS-TMC receiver uses.
You can only use one or the other accessory.

Looking at the photograph in your earlier post the sockets facing you are as follows:

MCX socket for external GPS aerial
Power socket for 5V DC
iPOD/ RDS-TMC Socket

On the other side of the mount you will find the Line Out audio socket and the external microphone socket.

As for getting hold of the accessory cable for the iPOD support, again they are very difficult to source, Halfords were selling these accessories off for ?2 about three years ago which cleared most of the stock, even though the iPOD socket is used on far more recent models the cable seems to have albeit vanished.
To be honest the iPOD cable wasn't that well thought out as no power was supplied to the iPOD while it was in use which would tend to flatten the iPOD battery on a long trip.

To get FM Tx working on your device I would suggest you consider an external FM Transmitter and plug it in to the line out audio socket then select the speaker preferences to use the Line-Out socket. Note only Nav instructions and mp3 music will route via the Line-Out socket, phone handsfree is only ever available from the built in speaker. Something like This connected to the Line-Out socket will give you the FM Tx capability but won't be controllable from the TomTom on screen menu.

I see little point in adding the Tom Player software to a device that already has the ability to play mp3 tracks from the supplied software even though the built in mp3 player does have a bug. This bug tends to crash the device if you have it navigating and playing music for a long trip (circa 4 hours without a break), TomTom never did fix this, in addition if you play mp3 tracks on the device sampled at 320KBP/s then the music gets played back slightly slower than it should be, stick to 192KBP/s and the music plays back fine (The slow playback of music when sampled at 320KBP/s affects all TomTom models with a built in mp3 player) - Mike

again, excellent info dear friend, and much appreciated indeed! ;)

Seems a shame Tomtom have let down so many customer's in under developing their units like this...yes, I have a couple of FM transmitter's floating around somewhere, but as you rightly said, it would only work this way now!

With regards to the Tom Player, even the avi films are dodgy on playback...shame it isn't like SmartMovie Player!

To be honest the x10 range is quite old by now, that said it was ground breaking when it first came out and the Computer voice Text To Speech on the 910 is better quality than any of the newer units that have followed it. Couple the excellent TTS with the capacious 20GB internal hard drive and in some respects the 910 out strips the more modern TomTom devices in terms of functionality and capability.

FM Tx is rather hit and miss in the UK, when out in the country it works well but get close to a major city and you won't be able to use FM Tx due to interference from radio stations, trying to locate a frequency not in use is rather difficult anywhere inside the M25. These days I use Bluetooth for the sound system in the car, this removes all the need for audio cables in the car and doesn't suffer from interference.

One quick word of advice, please make a full back up of the device using Windows Explorer, don't rely on any back up made using the TomTom Home software as this has/ had a tendency to rename the contents of the LoquendoTTS folder resulting in 4GB of useless TTS files.

A quick search on e-bay found the iPOD cable Here Have a search around though as there are other iPOD cables for less cost than this, couldn't find an FM Tx Mount though! - Mike

One quick word of advice, please make a full back up of the device using Windows Explorer, don't rely on any back up made using the TomTom Home software as this has/ had a tendency to rename the contents of the LoquendoTTS folder resulting in 4GB of useless TTS files.
With regards to the backup, I just copy the whole of the GO unit drive, and place it in a folder on C drive...is that what you mean?

Ask a Question