Go 730 Audio Out 1 channel or 2?

I got a 730 about 3 weeks ago, worked great. One of the things I use it for is audio books. Until last night audio would come out of both channels and sounded great. All of a sudden I have to wiggle the plug in to get audio out of both ear plugs. I called tech support today and was informed that the audio out isn't for head phones. When I informed that that I get the same results, single channel output via my home system as well as the audio input in my cassett player and 2 other sets of headphones they told me it is only supposed to be single channel.

This doesn't seem right to me at all since it is supposed to be a MP3 player too and I can't imagine someone producing an MP3 player with only 1 channel.

OK.. So, hear is my question:)

Is tech support right or did I just get someone (who had to leave the conversation several times to ask someone else) who didn't know what was going on. I would really like to get the thing replaced because I enjoyed using it as it was.

Thanks!

The mp3 player is certainly two channel (stereo) but to be honest I am not too sure about the audio books but I do remember the listening to one a while ago on my 720 and it came out through left and right sets of car speakers - It would suggest the line out socket on the device is broken - Mike

Thanks for the reply. That's what I thought too. I just don't get why TomTom is being difficult on this point. Everything worked dual channel yesterday and in the while listening, it stopped.

Anyone out there listening from TomTom? Maybe now would be a good time to pitch in and help a customer.

I just called in to get an RMA for my six month old 730T for exactly the same reason. It worked fine playing MP3 files in stereo for the last six months. Then one day the connection got wiggly and I needed to actually push on the cable to get the audio out to car stereo. It still came out in stereo but the connection was not secure.

Sounds to me like you need to have them arrange for an RMA, or better yet if it still falls within the reseller return policy you might want to return to them for a new replacement.

Thanks.. That's what I tried to get yesterday and they won't give it to me. Would it be possible for you to share your ticket number with me so I can reference it a proof when I call them again today?

I have not sent mine in yet but the number is RMA 100129-004584. Also if you check their technical information for the 730 on their website I think it says that the output of the audio out connection is in stereo.

Just for grins you might want to copy some stereo MP3 files to your unit and play them back to see if they come out mono or stereo. I have never listened to an audiobook on my unit so I am not sure if the source was recorded as stereo or mono.

MP3 same thing..

U Rock! Thanks.. I'll give them a call later and get this moving..

Thanks again!

Ask a Question