GO 620 Wi-Fi

TomTom Model(s)
GO 620 (2018- ), XL340S (2010-2018)
After eight (8) years, my XL 340S finally, suddenly, gave up the ghost. I loved my TomTom, so I immediately bought a GO 620, which I just received. Obviously a lot of progress is achieved in 8 years, and the 620 certainly reflects that. But a few questions arose immediately (and I will probably have more):
  • The unit includes one (1) computerized voice, which is female. Really? One? Uno? Een? There is no included male computerized voice that will say street names, etc.? I really liked the "Dave" computerized voice on my XL. Is there any way that I can import other computerized voices into the GO 620?
  • How do I cancel a route? Switch the sound on and off? Is there no touch-screen way to do these and other basic things without burrowing down into menus? Do I have to resort to voice commands? I try to avoid talking to people, much less machines.
  • Is there any way to access files on the device? Whatever happened to customization? With my XL I was able to go in and change the way certain names were (mis)pronounced, and customize the colors. No can do now?
I know I sound like an old fogey, but I AM an old fogey! :eek: Any help will be appreciated. :D

PS: I did read the included documentation, but it's, um, rather basic. Is there a more detailed technical manual?

Here's the guide:
http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/gox20x/refman/TomTom-GO-EU-RG-en-gb.pdf

You can ask support if there is a male computerized voice that can be added to your account. Not sure there is:
1f1fa-1f1f8.png
United States
877-757-7137
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. EST

Menu-->Current route-->cancel.

When in the menu screen, you'll see the volume bar. Tap the mouth icon to the left of the bar to turn sound off. You can't access the file system on newer devices. Many functions earlier models had no longer exist.

Thank you, dhn, for the guide, and the menu tips. No access to the file system means there is no way to back it up. And maybe no need. I regularly backed up my XL but, in eight years, never once had to restore a backup. It would be nice if there were some sort of cloud backup available -- or do you just use Wi-Fi to reinstall if something goes wrong?

I'll contact TomTom support about a male computerized voice; thanks for the number. I find it curious, and frankly astounding, that a male computerized voice is not included with the device.

These days, the most critical part of a backup is already moot -- the maps. They're always available to you on the server.
You might want to consider keeping your My Places as a POI on your PC, though. I have one called _favorites.ov2 that I use the TomTom cloud mechanism to load to my 620, but then always have a copy on my PC.

You might want to consider keeping your My Places as a POI on your PC, though. I have one called _favorites.ov2 that I use the TomTom cloud mechanism to load to my 620, but then always have a copy on my PC.
Thanks, I'll do that. I'll grant that the cloud feature is pretty nifty. I used the MyDrive website to create a route, clicked the button to save it to my 620 -- and boom, it was there.

I just spoke to TT Support about computerized voices. Their answer was a paraphrase of Henry Ford: you can have any computerized voice you want, as long as it's Samantha. :eek: I just don't get it.

Note the use of the underscore at the front of the filename. That pushes it to the top of the list.

Ask a Question