go 510 map upgrade

TomTom Model(s)
GO 510
Hi,
My UK map on my Go 510 is well out of date. Jane tried to get me to turn right through the central barrier recently on the motorway!!
What can I do to get my map up to date ?
Do I have to buy a new map ?
Any advice (in plain English) would be greatly appreciated.
Dave.

Welcome to TTF.

Yes, you would have to purchase a new map using Home and going to the Add Maps icon. The current version of all maps is 855. What is yours?

Be advised that if your current map is Western _Europe, chances are you will NOT be able to obtain the Europe map in one piece. It's grown too large (over 2 gigs) for most tomtom units.

You will be offered a zoned map to install although the entire map will get downloaded to your computer.

Also, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents prior to a major download, such as a map.

Finally, if your map is very old, perhaps your application is as well.

Connect to Home and if offered an application update, do that and disconnect the unit properly from Home (using the Device disconnect icon).

Then, restart the unit, connect to the computer and start Home again to make the map purchase.

Map Update

Thanks for that.
Not sure what version my map is. Will check it out later and come back to you. All I know is that it seems to be well out of date.
I will check out the "add maps" to see what the cost is.
I just assumed you could update the maps as and when.

Appreciate your help, will be back later today.

Tap the satellite bars and the next screen shows the version number of the application installed on your unit.

Tap the version number and the following screen shows the map installed and its version number.

GO 510 version number

Hi,
Thanks for the info.
The version number of my 510 is : 6.525
61 MB RAM (free: 15.8 MB)
Map: GB-PLUS-MAJOR-ROADS-of-WE' v650.1046
Language: English UK

Your map and application are both at least 3 years old. The current application for the 510 is 7.903 and even that one was released in December of 2008.

The current map for that model is 855....with map 860 due about the middle to end of November of 2010.

While getting the 7.903 application won't cost you anything, upgrading the map certainly will. You may be at the point where it may be worthwhile considering a brand new unit.

If you do want to keep the 510 then connect to Home and get the updated application ONLY. Then shut down Home completely and make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. If not sure how, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Then start Home again and go to the Add Maps icon to purchase a new map.

Ask a Question