Additional Map on GO510

Hi, I'm new here,

I have a GO510 with a 1GB card installed. I have the map it came with i.e. Great Britain plus major roads of Western Europe. Today I bought a map for Australia using TomTom Home 2.7 on a Windows 7 machine.

The map downloaded perfectly and appeared on the device. I can see it in Manage my device in the 'Items on device' tab. So I disconnected using the blue button then went to the device itself selecting Change preferences/Manage Maps/Switch map, but on the 'Select a map' screen there's just the original GB map, no sign of the Australia map.

So I contacted Support who asked me to send them my system information. They then came back and suggested that the download was corrupt and it was my internet connection that was the problem. So I followed their new instructions; used a hard wired cable instead of the wireless connection, re-named the old TomTom folder on the PC and trashed the Australia map from the SD card. Then did the download again via 'Update my device'.

Again the download went perfectly (this time faster because of the cable connection to the router). Again I allowed it to complete and then disconnected the GO (correctly using the blue button), and again there is no option for the AUstralia map on the 'Select a map' page.

I reported back to tech support (three hours ago) but have had no reply.

As an experiment I re-connected to GO to the PC and went into 'Operate my Device'. Went through Change preferences/Manage Maps/Switch map an lo and behold there's my Australia map along with the GB map. I switched to it and it all works fine. But when I disconnect the GO from the PC I'm back to not being able to see the Australian map again.

I sent this additional info to tech support but, again, silence.

I've done the reset button with a pin thing.

GO510
1GB SD card. 610MB free (with everything loaded inc. new map)
App 7.903
UK Map 650.1046
Australian map 885.2833

Any help much appreciated.

Bob.

Bob, Give CS a ring again (0845 161 0009) and ask them to confirm the Aussy map v885 (although I suspect this should be v855) will actually work with Navcore 7,903 - Mike

Contacted Support this morning. Seems that the map is compatible with 7.903.

They suggested it was a problem with the virus software on the Win 7 PC. I uninstalled AVG (2011 free edition) deleted the Australia map from the SD card, renamed my TomTom folder, restarted the PC and ran an update from TomTom Home to download the Australia map once more.

All is now well, so the issue was with AVG.

Australia here I come, and hopefully I won't get lost!

Bob.

Bob,

If you're looking for a new AV (anti-virus), may I suggest you look at 'avast!'. There's a free version that I've used for several years. I've been very happy with it since leaving McAfee (I used to be a moderator for McAfee when the "last good version" was ver. 7 IMHO). Avast has a good forum too for anyone needing help. If you go this route, be sure to search for and run the utility that completely uninstalls AVG first before installing any new AV.

disclosure: I have no affiliation with avast... just a satisfied user.

Ask a Question