Extra cost maps/Additional memory benefits???

At first glance, it seemed as if the available maps on TomTom HOME would be a good investment. After poking around this site and GPSPassion and a whatever other sites I could find, I have reached the saturation point. I've also heard it called the MEGO point (for: My Eyes Glaze Over).

At this point, I would like to determine if I need, or would benefit from adding more memory (and how much do i need)???

I'm also left wondering if the regional maps contain more detailed information than the supplied "USA And Canada" map already in my XLS. One confusing factor is the description of the "USA & Canada" map available for 49.95 and I guess that's a "euros" symbol (and how do I convert it to U.S. Dollars). [My high school English teacher would be turning over in her grave at this grammar] Anyway, the supplied map shows to be 858.8MB, and the "upgrade" is 902.2MB. What would I get for the extra 50 currency units (and what is the cost in U.S. Dollars)

I currently only plan to travel in the "US - South Central" and "US - Western" regions. Taking that as a given, can I delete the supplied map and add the two I just mentioned and NOT need extra memory?

This seems like a great site to get the info I want, but I didn't find the questions that are on my mind. Hopefully the answere to my questions will benefit others as well. Thanks to any responders!

At first glance, it seemed as if the available maps on TomTom HOME would be a good investment. After poking around this site and GPSPassion and a whatever other sites I could find, I have reached the saturation point. I've also heard it called the MEGO point (for: My Eyes Glaze Over).

At this point, I would like to determine if I need, or would benefit from adding more memory (and how much do i need)???

I'm also left wondering if the regional maps contain more detailed information than the supplied "USA And Canada" map already in my XLS. One confusing factor is the description of the "USA & Canada" map available for 49.95 and I guess that's a "euros" symbol (and how do I convert it to U.S. Dollars). [My high school English teacher would be turning over in her grave at this grammar] Anyway, the supplied map shows to be 858.8MB, and the "upgrade" is 902.2MB. What would I get for the extra 50 currency units (and what is the cost in U.S. Dollars)

I currently only plan to travel in the "US - South Central" and "US - Western" regions. Taking that as a given, can I delete the supplied map and add the two I just mentioned and NOT need extra memory?

This seems like a great site to get the info I want, but I didn't find the questions that are on my mind. Hopefully the answere to my questions will benefit others as well. Thanks to any responders!

The North America Maps show more details than the USA_and_Canada maps (if you do a search on here, someone posted pics showing the difference).... As far as the Western Region, South Central Region, etc...I have to believe they are more detailed than the USA_and_Canada maps, but maybe just a tad more detailed than the North America maps....they also may have more POIs than the other maps.

Here is a currency converter: >>> Currency Converter Tool <<<

I don't know the file sizes of the regional maps to know if it would fit on 1GB.

The North America Maps show more details than the USA_and_Canada maps (if you do a search on here, someone posted pics showing the difference).... As far as the Western Region, South Central Region, etc...I have to believe they are more detailed than the USA_and_Canada maps, but maybe just a tad more detailed than the North America maps....they also may have more POIs than the other maps.

Here is a currency converter: >>> Currency Converter Tool <<<

I don't know the file sizes of the regional maps to know if it would fit on 1GB.

What search terms would I use to search for the map differences, please? Thanks for the currency converter link, Birdman. Seems mighty odd to have to convert currency to order from a vendor doing business in the US, though. I'm guessing that the funny sort of "E" looking character is the euro sign. Is that even correct? Sometimes I feel like Rip Van Winkle - went to sleep and woke up in a whole new world...... And I THOUGHT I was staying pretty plugged in........

USA_Canada20Map.jpg

Top is US_Canada bottom is NA same spot

North20America20Map.jpg

Birdman how about a rep point for me helping here as you have helped me and I did for you

Last edited:
Remember that is inside a city the country is just roads and lake , rivers etc. I noticed the difference when I switched form the TT1 with US Cadada to my 720 with newest NA map.

Ask a Question