GO 510 - Just Received it and have problems :-(

Hi there,

Just picked up a TomTom refurbed GO 510 from eCost (with 1yr original TomTom warranty).

However, when I power it up the screen asks me to install the SD card.
When I install the card and power the 510 up, it shows the SD card with a flashing red X over it.

Can anybody tell me what is wrong ?

I performed a complete backup using TomTom Home (I have a ONE XL already).

Also, Home won't let me add the GO 510 to my current account. It goes into a loop with asking me to disconnect/reconnect the 510 and the only way to break the loop is to reset the 510 and clicking on "continue without adding to account". Is this because something is hosed in the unit ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Try doing a pin reset without the sd card installed and then a pin reset with the sd card installed. See if that helps.

If not, the red X signifies the unit can't find the operating system. You can try copying everything to the sd card usung Explorer. Insert the sd card and do a pin reset then.

Thanks dnh

What files would I copy to the card ? The files I just backed up ? or is there a a set of files on the CD somewhere ?

Should I format the SD card first in case it is corrupted ?

FYI the SD card was in a TomTom sealed package abd so was factory original.

Thanks.

All the files/folders on the unit should be copied to the sd card. If Explorer 'sees' the sd card as an external storage unit, the card is probably ok but I guess it wouldn't hurt to format it. Try without the format first, though.

Sorry if I am confused.

The unit has an SD card. All the contents were backed up to the PC.

What files are on the unit that are not on the SD card ? Do you mean for me to copy all the files back onto the SD card through HOME ?

If I use explorer I see:

TomTom(K: )
Trashes
bin
demo
fleetecd
Guam
licenses
raster
TomTom Home Install.app
TomTom-CFG
USA_and_Canada
voices
TomTom HOME 1.1 SD Install.zip
and a bunch of system files

If I take out the SD card and put it in my SD card ready, I se the same files, therefore it looks like what I see as K: is the same as the contents of the SD card.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes, I tried the pin resets (without SD card and then with SD card). Same result just a flashing X over the SD card.

Thanks for the quick help, I am trying to get this running tonight if possible.

Cheers.

On the 510, all the files are on the card. If your unit can't read the card - nothing will work.

If you take the card out, and put a formatted FAT32 new one in (do NOT reformat the old one), it should offer to download the operating system. Iit should then boot up when you disconnect it, but it would not have a map in it. If it will not boot up, you may have to return to the vendor (plus - you have the 1 year warranty to fall back on).

With windows explorer, you could then copy and paste the US_Canada folder over to the root directory (it it booted up per the above and after re-connecting it). Disconnect from the computer, and see if it boots up Ok and opens up the USA/Canada Map now.

If it had booted up before Ok (without any map), and it then would not open the map after you copied it over, you then probably have a problem with the files on the SD card that you copied over. Again, return or Warranty time.

One other little though - make sure that the SD card does not have the write-protect slide set - that might keep it from doing something on the initial start-up.

Well I can now get it to run, but after 40 seconds or so it locks up and reboots itself. The GPS then repeats this cycle until you press the reset.

I tried the clear flash utility but no luck.

Just to add some detail to my last post, here is what I did to get the 510 to it's current state:

(1) Backup the unit via TomTom Home (incl. hidden files)
(2) Backup the SD card via my SD card reader (incl. hidden files)
(3) Per the instructions on the TomTom website I inserted the SD card into the unit, attached it to the PC and formatted the unit.
(4) Hit the reset and rebooted the unit and attached it to the PC again.
(5) TomTom Home then reloaded the application.
(6) The application ran fine but obviously informed me that there were no maps loaded.
(7) I copied the USA/Canada maps from my backup to the unit, turned it off and hit the reset.
(8) The unit reboots, asks me the usual questions and starts up and find my position.
(9) After approx 45 seconds of use (doesn;t matter if I am looking at the map, in a menu etc.) the unit locks up and about 10 seconds later reboots and starts again.
(10) Continues rebooting and running for 45 sec/1 min until I hit the rest button.

If it runs fine prior to me copying the maps to the unit, does that mean I have a map issue ?

Thanks.

SDHC are 4GB and above I believe so I will probably just be picking up a 2GB from Walmart anyway. Hopefully that will workout okay.

If not I will be returning this later today to eCost.

Use the SD card only - 2 gb works fine, and you would have most likely ended up having to get one anyway to make room. The 1 gb is really inadequate.

Alas, no luck with the new 2GB SD card.

Boots up and and I loaded the application via TomTom Home.

I then put a copy of the US-Canada Maps onto the 510 and it boots up but after 45 seconds or so it locks up and reboots in an endless cycle just like before until I either manually turn it off or hit the reset button.

Just read a post where somebody was having the same problem with their 510 and a CSR told them to download: ttgoupd_6_02_6690.exe and then upgrade to 6.525

I tried the link but alas it didn't work.

Does anybody know where I can download this older rev of the app ?

Thanks.

Ask a Question