Glad I found you all!

TomTom Model(s)
GO 910
Last weekend my wife surprised me for my 40th birthday with a GO 910:D . I had played with an older Garmin last month while visiting my sister out of town and thought it was a cool toy but not much else. I guess she took to my liking of gadgets and did some shopping.

I am still getting acquainted with it I will be reading these messages when I have time and hopefully can learn to use it with little troubles.

I have already needed to use the backup so any one else that is new MAKE A BACKUP! I also downloaded the 1/2007 North America maps and now have two sets on the Tomtom. Can I delete one? Or better yet SHOULD I delete one? Also I have two folders on the unit one labeled "North America" and the other is "North_America" what is what? If I want to load POIs from here and there are a few, thanks for making them, where would they go?

Ok, enough already.

matt

Welcome to TTF

While I don't own a 910, so the directory structure might be a little different, I would put the POI's in the North_America folder. I guess, if you don't see the custom category then you can always put it in the North America folder :D

It is also possible that you have two maps called North America, you can check which one you are using by going into the check version option in the main menu. I'm assuming you would be able to see 'North America' or 'North_America' for the map version.

Welcome to TTF

It is also possible that you have two maps called North America, you can check which one you are using by going into the check version option in the main menu. I'm assuming you would be able to see 'North America' or 'North_America' for the map version.

I am guessing this is the case since I did download the 665 maps Monday night. I assumed that it would overwrite the existing map. Now to find out which is which. Menu shows that I am using the 665 which I have noticed a few error fixes in my area.

matt

I am guessing this is the case since I did download the 665 maps Monday night. I assumed that it would overwrite the existing map. Now to find out which is which. Menu shows that I am using the 665 which I have noticed a few error fixes in my area.

matt

Not necessarily. If you go to Main Menu>Change Preferences>Manage Maps you can see how many maps are installed on your device.

Thats great to hear 665 has fixed errors in your area. It really is a hit or miss iwht the upgrade.

Not necessarily. If you go to Main Menu>Change Preferences>Manage Maps you can see how many maps are installed on your device.

Thats great to hear 665 has fixed errors in your area. It really is a hit or miss iwht the upgrade.

It shows 2 NA maps but the names are identical in the listing.

In order:
Canary Islands
Guam
North America
Western and Central Europe
North America <---this was highlited when I went to the switch map page

matt

Matt,

You and I have the same device. In manage maps you will see 2 identical North America map files. You use manage maps to swap between the two. When you hit your GPS status bars you will see VERSION...hit that and it will go to another page that will show you what map set you are using.

I keep both sets on my 910. Space is the only concern. Some folks have indicated that there may be some inaccuracies in the new map, although I have not encountered that.

As far as POI's you download....just copy them to BOTH North America map folders on your TT. This way whatever map set you are using you have your custom POI's installed. This is what I am doing and it works fine.

In the future if I decide I need more space and that one of the two map sets will be the one I use I will delete the other. Make sure that you make a backup on your computer so that you can install them back to the 910 if you need to in the future.

Hope that helps!

There is a way to rename the map in your tomtom directory. Im not sure how to do it. I'll find out and report back.

Hello, Happy Birthday and Welcome. Glad you found us and that you have the TT. You will find it a great device to use and any questions can probably be answered here.

So far everyone has been wonderfully helpful. It's fourms like this that make some of the technology we buy all that much better.

Thanks

matt

You are welcome!

My folks live in Freeport right on Casco bay! We are right across from Brunswick NAS!

:)

Ask a Question