Free NA Upgrade is too big for my 720

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
I requested a free map upgrade for my 720 but the download say that the maps take 1.915 Gig but my total memory is 1.955

So how do i proceed to download ? once installed i will have barely enough space to put the application.

So can i delete my original maps and transfer everything else (except the application) to a SD card, will it work to have all my voice n colors on the SD car ?

I requested a free map upgrade for my 720 but the download say that the maps take 1.915 Gig but my total memory is 1.955

So how do i proceed to download ? once installed i will have barely enough space to put the application.

So can i delete my original maps and transfer everything else (except the application) to a SD card, will it work to have all my voice n colors on the SD car ?

I didn't have enough space when I first trying to upgrade.
What I did to make it work is to delete all my mp3 on the internal memory.
I guess if you have other things like custom voice ...then save it to the SD card or to your computer first .... remove those files from the internal memory ... then try the upgrade. You can see how much free internal memory are available for other stuff after the upgrade.

I think the original map WILL have to be removed from the internal memory (if there is no SD card) for the new map to fit within the 2 meg limitation.

BUT.......

Make sure the entire contents of the unit have been backed up (using Explorer or some other file utility) BEFORE deleting the old map.

Using TTHome's backup does not back up everything on the unit.

Also, any poi's, favourites, etc. you've added to the old map folder will need to be copied back to the new map folder.

I think the original map WILL have to be removed from the internal memory (if there is no SD card) for the new map to fit within the 2 meg limitation.

Nope.. I did it the other day. Left my current map in place while the new map downloaded and installed and I deffinatly didn't have enough room to hold both maps, nor an SD card...

But did you got the 1.7G update ?

the one in my update is the 1.9G update... is it a even newer map, or the map for the 920 ?

Right on the 720 itself it's listed as North_America_2G; it's about 1.7G in size though.. When I use the use latest map guarentee, it says I'm up todate.

Right on the 720 itself it's listed as North_America_2G; it's about 1.7G in size though.. When I use the use latest map guarentee, it says I'm up todate.

Were you able to install it? I just downloaded the file after about ten tries and the device wants me to remove over 2G of data before it will install the new map. All I have on the system is the original files that came with the device, nothing more. I even deleted the Guam map, extra voices, poi's and everything else I could think of - no luck.
I'm beginning to regret this purchase.

Were you able to install it? I just downloaded the file after about ten tries and the device wants me to remove over 2G of data before it will install the new map. All I have on the system is the original files that came with the device, nothing more. I even deleted the Guam map, extra voices, poi's and everything else I could think of - no luck.
I'm beginning to regret this purchase.

I did the update through TomTom HOME... It took about 10 attempts before I managed to successfully download the map, but it worked without having to delete anything..

Guam is small, so that won't help much. ;)

Maybe try backing up you device, then delete the NA map and whatever pictures and MPs you have installed?

I did the update through TomTom HOME... It took about 10 attempts before I managed to successfully download the map, but it worked without having to delete anything..

Guam is small, so that won't help much. ;)

Maybe try backing up you device, then delete the NA map and whatever pictures and MPs you have installed?

Yeah, tried all that and it is still too large. I don't have anything else added to my TT that didn't come with the standard original configuration. Seems silly to me that I need to delete items that were loaded with the original map just to fit the new map in but I am learning that TT doesn't really have their act together on this product.

Where are you guys getting this map update? My 720 is about 6 months old. I assume I'm eligible for the update?

I've done the firmware update, but no map updates show as available within TomTom Home.

Thanks!

I was finally able to install the map, but users shouldn't have to go through this!!
I had to delete the file from the TT device manually (through windows XP) rather than the uninstall utility in the HOME application (because it didn't actually delete from the TT using the HOME application). Once I did that there was enough room to install the new map. I defragged the TT drive after this BTW. Then I browsed to where the map was located in the TT directory on My Computer, and found 9 other maps (all were previous attempts to download US Map from the balky TT web site). I deleted all but the one map that the TT HOME software said was on my computer, and then the install routine worked. I'm not recommending this for anyone else, just telling you how it worked for me.

When I got my 720 new and tried to update the map. It said not enough space. So I use Home to remove french and spanish TTS and that free up enough space for the new map update. And same apply to my another 720.

I had the same problem. Even though I try to remove original map and other voice, it still do not have enough memory. I finally brought a 4GB SDHC card and installed the new map there.
I think the problem is I upgraded the firmware from 7.010 to 7.020 and used up some spaces ( like 30 MB).
But for anyone install it to internal memory, you may have problem in future to upgrade new firmware or map correction.

I had the same problem. Even though I try to remove original map and other voice, it still do not have enough memory. I finally brought a 4GB SDHC card and installed the new map there.
I think the problem is I upgraded the firmware from 7.010 to 7.020 and used up some spaces ( like 30 MB).
But for anyone install it to internal memory, you may have problem in future to upgrade new firmware or map correction.

Well, at 4:30 am this morning (it's 8:00 am now), I finished going through the same experience. I had already dl the new firmware but had installed the US & Canada 7.10 map, not the North America 7.10 map. Speech recognition does NOT work with the former map.

So, a call to TT yesterday about 5 pm explaining why I had the wrong version & needed the North america map; TT agreed and I set about to dl it. In preparation, I removed the US map folder from the unit. Over four hours later, the new map did dl but half way through the install, it stopped with the no room left on unit error.

I went about try to strip out anything & everything I could from all folders on the unit and it still wouldn't fit.

Finally, went into the zip file of the North america 7.10 map itself that was now residing on my computer and started deleting the cspeech_<state>. dat files for States I figured I could live without in terms of ever visiting with my unit.

Goodbye Texas (43 megs), Indiana, etc., etc. and only by doing that (removing 150 megs or so) could I free up enough space on the unit for the map to install.

Staggered to bed at 4:30, as I said.

UGH!:mad:

But......the speech recognition did work! :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question