Formatting issues

TomTom Model(s)
XXL
Hi there. I am new to this forum, but have owned a TT XXL for a little over a year with no issues. As I attempted to update my maps I ran into some difficulties. It took me 3 times to finally download an updated map, and I have the maps saved on my computer in HOME, but when I plug the device into my computer I get a message telling me it needs to be formatted. So, of course I obeyed and started the formatting. How long does this take? It has been running for 13 hours and the green line is still less than half way. I am formatting at FAT32 and default settings. Any ideas? Should I do something different?

Don't know which of the dozen XXL models you have, but many of them are USB 1.1 devices, and that can take a while. Still, 13 hours is a little silly. Is it still moving?

Now that you've already started the process, yes, FAT32 and NOT "quick" format is the right way to go.

Is the 'green line' still moving? Which OS are you using? Are you using the original cable? Rear USB port (if you have both front and rear)?

TT XL 550. Moving, but very slowly. Using Windows 7 and original cable. Only have one USB port--bottom of the device.

Guess there's nothing to do then but wait it out and see how it goes. I've never heard of it taking that long before. FWIW, the 550 is a USB 2.0 device, so it should really go quite quickly. Just for grins, bring up Task Manager and check your overall system performance. Bet it's sitting at 100%.

TT XL 550. Moving, but very slowly. Using Windows 7 and original cable. Only have one USB port--bottom of the device.
Is there more than one USB port on your PC?

Some computers have a different speed for a USB port on the front panel than a USB port on the back of the computer.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question