Formatting/Downloading to new SD card

Morning people :)

I have an original TomTom One, I have bought a 2 Gb SD card and purchased a USA map to download. I have read lots of posts and instructions for what to do but I am struggling as I don't really understand. I thought I would be able to format the card in the TT then stick it in the laptop slot and download the map onto it but I have only managed to fathom how to download the map onto the card whilst in the TT but the charge on the TT doesn't last long enough for the download :(

Will someone please explain what I need to do in painfully simple terms, remember I don't speak computer ;)

Thank you...

All purchased maps first get stored on the computer, then installed on a card or unit using Home. If you are saying the downloading step is problematic because the computer (laptop) isn't holding a charge, then can you not plug it in? Or install Home on a desktop computer and download it there?

first note that the tomtom one has to have both the operating system (tomtom files) AND the map on the sd card in order to run from the card.

Plug the tomtom into your computer and the sd card into the computer slot. Copy everything from the tomtom to the card.

Alternately you could copy the entire contents of the tomtom to a folder on the hard drive and then copy the contents of that folder to the sd card. same result, but it gives you a backup on your hard drive.

the computer should then recognize the card as the "tomtom" and you should then be able to download the new map to the card.

when successful with this, just put the sd card into the tomtom and turn it on.

there should be no power problem with the tomtom when it is plugged into the computer as the computer is then supplying power to the tomtom.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses...

flyer 1024, I copied the contents of the old SD card to the new one, connected the TT to the laptop with the new card in the laptop slot and the map downloaded okay, but afterwards when I tried, it seemed not to give me the choice of changing between maps so I have taken the GB map off and that seems to do the trick :)

Shame I can't get both working on the one card but ho hum - I'm not blond, honest ;)

Thanks again

I don't think a 2g card has enough storage to hold both maps. If the GB map is still on the first card, just pop that into the tomtom when you wish to use that map.

I didn't realize you were working with two cards. your attempt to download to the new card probably failed originally because there was no operating system on the new card. tomtom home would not recognize it as a "tomtom" that way.

Last edited:

Ask a Question