FM transmitter doesn't work on 720 with 8.3 firmware

Just call and complain like the rest of us. The more calls they get hammered with the better. Also request it works with cell phone. Had I not paid 80 bucks for this thing it would have gone back to the store. The only reason I wanted it was for the hands free calling and I can barely hear the distorted built in speaker while driving down the road.

Just call and complain like the rest of us. The more calls they get hammered with the better. Also request it works with cell phone. Had I not paid 80 bucks for this thing it would have gone back to the store. The only reason I wanted it was for the hands free calling and I can barely hear the distorted built in speaker while driving down the road.
Somehow I suspect they will not reintroduce hands-free via FM radio. In retrospect, it would seem to be a giant privacy/liability issue. User's aren't always all that bright.

Does the audio line-out plug still provide phone audio that could be shot to a separate FM modulator? Haven't tried this with a recent Navcore version.

I have not tried it either but will in a bit. I do not have a stereo that contains the mini jack in the front for an mp3 player etc. I don't understand their concept since Motorola has several models out that use the FM transmitter/modulator. Which I though mods worked in line with the antena? I wm going out right now to test the jack, wifes Tahoe has a tape deck (99 model) and we have one of those high tech tapes :D with a wire comming out to play the ipod on.

UPDATE:
No go using a mini jack for the hands free. Will only work on data and mp3's...this sucks!! Defeats the real purpose I got this thing. I hope if TT doesn't come out with something perhapse a true hacker will have something.

Last edited:

You only paid $80 for the 720?? how'd you manage that?

Some people were able to act fast enough and take advantage of an extra $100 rebate/glitch from/thru Circuit City online and then pickup.

I tried it, but I got a no go. I just ended up getting one for the 179- 10% off coupon.

The new firmware 8.3 disable the function of the FM transmitter because there is a Law in EU that can not broadcast 'Dead Air'

Any groups in Northamerica planing on filing a lawsuit against TomTom for disabling the FM transmitter?:mad:
i think it would be a better idea to try to get media attention- a short story on consumer/news should embarrass tomtom enough to act more quickly then legal- unless we all contact out attorney general of our state- tomtom MUST reply to them,even while they IGNORE our plea's

I guess we could all hammer ABC and CBS consumer news departments. Bombard them with emails and maybe we will get a story out of it. It would take this whole comunity and more to do it. Doubt many would participate :(

By the way it was not Circuit City that had the glitch it was Best Buy. I was able to Score 7 of them at that price. It was tough to do it. I spent 8 hours on the phone on the 6th. It was a matter of getting the right person on the phone and sucking up to them. My persistence paid off. Sold off 5 and have 2 for myself. One for hacking and the other to keep in one piece for future hacking. So far I am running the new GUI 740/940. NOw one is set up lik this

App 8.204 OS: 244890
64 MB RAM
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5106 (This can brick your unit, do at your own risk)
Map: North America 2GB v815.2019
Engwish :D

This thing is KEWL

App 8.204 OS: 244890
Noted in the other thread that you had 8.204 running on your 720. Would be curious to know how the performance is with a reasonable number of POI categories selected vs previous performance. If you didn't own the 720 for long before making the Navcore swap to the 740 code, you may not be able to answer that one. I'm looking to establish whether or not the 740 code is actually more efficient, allowing the new feature set to function properly, or whether there's new hardware in the 740 to make it possible.

Also, and to the point of the thread here ... had they already nuked the FM transmission of guidance at 8.204 for the x40 series?

720 fm transmitter glitch

Maybe this is known knowledge by others but I just discovered a glitch today with the 720 I have the following firmware and software below.
App:8.301(9736/090114)
GPSv: 1.20
Boot: 5.5015
Map: North America v815.2019

My discovery is that this version of the firmware still allows turn by turn instructions as long as you navigate to the fm transmitter page it will broadcast over the radio. If you leave that page then it only transmit through the internal speaker. So there appears to be a glitch with their software so maybe someone will figure out a way to hack this someday or TomTom will stop punishing the US market and renable this feature. I would love to see if someone else can replicate this issue with the same firmware.

Ask a Question