First TOMTOM

Greetings. I just purchased a TOMTOM 930 and now starting to have fun. I've had a Garmin 2620 for four years and a ????? in my Chev Tahoe for 2 years. The Garmin and the built-in unit are as different as night and day. Each has its strong points and weak points. Now, I'm finding that with the 930 as well.

It is unlike my 2620, but what I don't know is how it compares to current lighter Garmin models.

On disappointment at this time is a missing feature - unless it is there and I just can't find it - elevation. Our 2620 has that feature and I'm surprised it is missing in the 930.

Instructions - not too clear at times. I'd like to connect our iPod but looking at the instructions it sure is not clear how one does that. What does the cable connect to on the 930?

I'm hoping I can learn a lot here.

Oh, one thing about the voices. We are NZ and AU fans. I'm using the Australian voice and find myself chuckling regularly. Today we pulled off of I-75 for fuel and thus were off the route. It regularly says "bugga bugga bugga." That gets me laughing as we found Toyota trucks with that expression across the windshield in Australia. Two trips back we found the Toyota commercial with bugga bugga bugga in the Museum and now understand where the expression came from.

Best to all for a great 2009.

GR

Welcome. Before doing anything else, make a complete Explorer backup and ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Then use Home to get the latest firmware AND THEN use Home's Latest Map Guarantee to update to the latest (NA & WE 815) maps.

Then make another Explorer backup.

Sorry, but TT's do not show altitude. Some 3rd party applications did but firmware 8x killed off most support for those applications.

Welcome to the Forum!
You will find lots of usefull information & tips on here.

I don't have an I-Pod but I believe it would plug into the bottom of your unit, not sure which one.
One port is for traffic antina.

Welcome. Before doing anything else, make a complete Explorer backup and ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Then use Home to get the latest firmware AND THEN use Home's Latest Map Guarantee to update to the latest (NA & WE 815) maps.

Then make another Explorer backup.

Sorry, but TT's do not show altitude. Some 3rd party applications did but firmware 8x killed off most support for those applications.

I'm disappointed on the altitude. Just can't understand why the designers don't make an effort to determine what we need. In our case we've got a motorhome and we tow a Tahoe behind it. When we are making a steep climb we sure like to know the elevation, as we can determine how far we are into the ascent or descent.

It is certainly going to take me a while to get used to the 930. At this time I have to say I'm not wild about the navigation design. We drove to Florida in my wife's Equinox and the 930 was mounted on the window and certainly it called for use of the remote (which we have with the Garmin 2620). In our motorhome it was also be used. When advancing through the preferences, one can move quickly hitting the arrows with a tap of the finger, but with the remote it requires many many wasted clicks. The advance page arrow should have been in the upper left hand corner so one could quickly advance through the pages with the remote.

I also miss the listing of exits on Interstates and 400 highways, the odometers for total and trip, highest speed, driving time, stop time and so on. Actually, in many respect this recent model TOM TOM doesn't stack up too well to a 4-5 year old top end GARMIN. Mind you, the prices have a big gap too. I'm going to have to look at current Garmin units to determine how well they match up.

I get the feeling I'm missing something on setting up screens so I can rotate throught them. I hope I can find out what I'm missing.

On the other hand the TOM has a number of nice features - the speed and speed limit (but one must be cautious in construction areas) is something we enjoyed and set alarms.

Have music loaded into a 4 GB SDHC and it works well. Our iPod has over 6,000 songs so we really didn't need this feature but it may replace the iPod as it appears connecting to the TOM requires a special cable. Just went out and tested it in the car and it works well BUT in heavily populated areas with a lot of radio stations one must change the station regularly. Did they allow a quick way to do this? I can't see it. If there is I'd love to know. In our Tahoe we have a built-in XM radio. The Equinox has a portable and it too needs a station change - and far too frequently (same with the motorhome). It is going to be a pain in some areas where the band is fairly full. I was also surprised that they do not show the song name someplace. Another weakness IMO.

Anyway, I guess it is worth what we paid ($350 CDN) but I'm going to have to spend a lot more time with it as some features are not intuitive.

I'm going to have to look at current Garmin units to determine how well they match up.
I don't think many features in your old Garmin will exist in the Nuvis either.
By the way your TomTom can show current speed, distance to destination, time of arrival ...

I don't think many features in your old Garmin will exist in the Nuvis either.
By the way your TomTom can show current speed, distance to destination, time of arrival ...

Yes, that info is obvious on the primary screen. What surprised me was the lack of features like trip odos that have to be very inexpensive to include.

On the basis that misery loves company if these features aren't on the Garmins I suppose I'll feel better.

Just downloaded some of the Garmin manuals. The Nuvis don't have elevation but the 7200/7500 Street Pilot units still have them - as well as much larger screens.

The Nuvis (700 series) and the Street Pilot also have the trip info with odometers.

There doesn't look to be much to chose between the 700 series and my 930 - and given I paid $350 Cdn I'm not going to claim it was not a reasonable deal. It does have fair value for the $$$ - but I sure wish they'd ask users what they need and like with respect to features.

GR

Ask a Question