ETA Calculation Way Off

TomTom Model(s)
tomtom one xl
Love the TomTom.

But . . .

On a recent trip my TomTom said my ETA would be in 2:45. I know it takes 1:35. I go on this trip often so I know how long it takes. I had programmed in the exact route, which I followed. Since I am a new user I had not used the TomTom on anything longer than 20 min. trips. So the TomTom thinks I am driving at 30 MPH and does not correct itself when my average speed is more like 50 MPH. How can I correct this? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Love the TomTom.

But . . .

On a recent trip my TomTom said my ETA would be in 2:45. I know it takes 1:35. I go on this trip often so I know how long it takes. I had programmed in the exact route, which I followed. Since I am a new user I had not used the TomTom on anything longer than 20 min. trips. So the TomTom thinks I am driving at 30 MPH and does not correct itself when my average speed is more like 50 MPH. How can I correct this? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah......known issue. Feeling is that TT stores a default speed for 3 types of roads in North america at the present time. As such, it's eta calculations are hit & miss, mostly miss. It does recalculate constantly while on route, which is better than nothing.

Feeling is that one of the features of the x30 series due out very soon, IQ mapping (or whatever) will have more accrate eta's because it will (supposedly) rely upon users' real world driving experiences vis-a-vis driving speeds.

The IQ routing will be fixing that issue and I am told all TT owners will get it free.

Also Garmin is no better on this one, I had a Garmin berfore my TT

The IQ routing will be fixing that issue and I am told all TT owners will get it free.

Also Garmin is no better on this one, I had a Garmin berfore my TT

In fact, the 7.48 firmware update was supposed to contain the same 'hooks' for IQ routing as will be on the x30 series. And we've all seen what a disaster this upgrade has turned out to be.

Anyway, IQ routing is related to specific maps and, as such, even if TomTom makes the capability to have that feature available for all current users, we users will still have to buy the appropriate maps.

I took a four-hour trip to PA this past weekend, and the TomTom estimated it correctly. Still.. interesting. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Wow.. TT giving an ETA that's longer than the actual route? That's rare. It's usually the other way around.

On several trips I have been on the ETA has been pretty accurate, the updating of this while traveling has been very good also????? Mine is the TTONEXL.

From what I seen, the longer the trip the more accurate the ETA. I take several 3+ hour trips a month. On these trips, the TT does a pretty go job, especially if you stop to get gas/coffee. Somewhere in the logic, TT estimates for gas and food stops. I don't know how this effects short trips. The estimates for short trips do seem to be off a good bit.

Mine has always overcalculated the ETA of my trips. Our long trips are about 8 hours and it will be over 9 when we start out.:mad: It slowly gets to the correct time at about 30 minutes before we arrive. Very frustrating coming from a Garmin that used to be only about 10 to 15 minutes fast at the start of the trip. I only drive 5 miles over the speed limit. So those of you thinking it is exessive speed causing it, 5 miles over should not result in more than an hour off.

Ask a Question