ETA Calculation MUCH better with new models... what now?

I bought a One XL-S this past Christmas, and have been mostly happy with it, with the exception of occasionally wacky routing, and horribly inaccurate (long) ETA calculations (especially when a route includes a non-Interstate highway). Regarding the latter, I was playing around with what I believe was a Go 930 at Best Buy this past weekend, and was quite surprised to see how much better the ETA calculation was.

As an example, a 160 mile route that is about 1/3 Interstate and 2/3 major highway gives an initial ETA of 3:40 on my XL-S, and on the 930 it was 2:45 (pretty close to the correct amount of time this trip actually takes).

Another (less extreme) example, a mostly Interstate route of 351 miles weighed in at 5:55 on my XL-S, and 5:02 on the 930. Again, the 930's calculation was accurate.

I also tried a 920 and a few other non-latest-model TomToms, and they yielded similar ETAs to mine, so I assume it's the latest firmware and/or map data that fixes it. I upgraded to the latest NavCore version, 8.10 I believe, and this didn't help. So, I assume buying the latest map (which probably has more detailed and accurate speed data) would give me the better ETAs?

--Michael

The IQ Route data is what gives you the more accurate ETA. To get that you'll need 8.x firmware AND 8.x maps. The latest 7xx maps won't help in that regard, as they don't have the data that the firmware would need to more accurately calculate the ETA.

What you assume is correct, mcaswell
You need (as well as all of non-x30 owners) navcore 8 and 8.x map to get the IQ Route and ALG.

Ask a Question