ERROR! A new application was installed and you need to restart.

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720 with 920 POI's
I get the following message everytime I connect my 720 to home after I updated to the latest version, 2.3.1.92 I believe. I also updated to firmware 7.481 (because it won't show me 8.010, which is what I really wanted).

A new application was installed and you need to restart your TomTom Device.

(Then it gives three steps to restart the device.)

I have followed the instructions and it still does it. Once I click ok it appears to work ok but it's troubling to have this pop up every time.

It does it no matter if I connect to the SD card or the internal memory.

I have reinstalled the firmware and re-downloaded home, uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled Home to be sure I got a clean copy.

Anybody seen this? Anybody have any suggestions?

Yes I did that. I haven't pulled the SD card to see what that does but I suspect it won't help since I get the error whether I select it or the internal memory.

I had to use the paper clip to reset this weekend.

I plugged in my XLS and opened up Home version 2.3 or whatever, after NOT having messed with it in ages, since my device is WORKING.

However, I took a a chance and let it install the new application, and some new file that was needed to work with my XLS. I really hate updates, because they usually screw it up again.

I followed the instructions, clicked "device" disconnect, powered it down, powered it back on, watched for the red link icon (when you should never disconnect), Home opened, and it said some new file had to be installed...sure, okay!

It didn't want to read my device, so I did the pin reset, closed Home and had a heck of time for a few minutes getting it to "read" it. Anyway, it's working today, I still have my USA_Canada map, all of my favorites, some new "car" icons to replace the blue arrow...whoopy, and I'm surprised I didn't have to format the whole device again, and use my "backup" disc to restore it.

Love/ hate my XLS! :mad:

You might need to check for updates and see if you get that update that says a file needs to be installed to work with your unit.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I checked for updates again last night and still no joy. I started an email notification with TomTom so we'll see what they have to say in the next few days.

I checked for updates again last night and still no joy. I started an email notification with TomTom so we'll see what they have to say in the next few days.

Indulge me, Bama....... tap the satellite bars on your unit just to make sure what version of firmware is installed on your unit. thanks.

Bama Rembler,
Just to give you a head up, after install 8.010 on my 920, here's what I found
Good sign:
+ screen seems to be smoother
+ calculating route seems to be faster

Bad sign:
+ if you love your compass in 7.481, you will be disappointed with the new compass in 8.010
+ re-drawing rate seems to be much slower :(. Means after I missed a turn, it took about 15 seconds to realize that I was off then re-calculated.

dhn ~ the version is 7.481 maps are 7.15.

pianoCM ~ I know about the compass and I will miss it but the ability to add speed limit info overcomes it for me. As for the re-draw, I won't know about that till I actually see it myself. Hopefully it won;t be too bad. well, provided I ever get to download 8.010. :|

I think the speed-limit function is implemented within the map, nothing to do with the firmware. When updating to 720.1803 map last 2 weeks and still using 7.481 firmware, the speed limit has been there already, so I don't think it has anything to do with firmware 8.010.

About the redraw rate, I hope it won't slow you down.

Maybe I was misinformed. I was under the impression that firmware version 8.010 allowed you to enter speed limits where none were shown. I have 7.15 maps and had 7.221 firmware and it showed set speed limits on some roads but you couldn't enter them for roads that didn't already have them. It does the same thing with firmware 7.481 but still doesn't allow me to enter new ones unless I'm missing something. All help is appreciated.

Still haven't heard from TomTom on the issue.

Ask a Question