Easier way to add roads?

TomTom Model(s)
One XL-S
So, being anal - and wanting to help out with new roads (they're not even finished in Google Earth, Google Maps or Mapquest - yet they've been there almost a year now)... I decided that I would take Google Earth, plot out a bunch of points for the roads in a new Shopping Park (Dartmouth Crossing). So I did that, copied each of the points into TYRE and then saved it as a POI. Imported that into my TomTom XL-S. Up to this point, everything went perfectly - it was just time consuming.

Now this is where everything falls apart.
#1) They've got a section of road where the name changes in the middle of the road. Couldn't figure out how to change just that section of road.
#2) You can only do a Point A to B straight line - would be much MUCH easier to be able to plot a, b, c, d, & e to show a curvy road. No way of doing that. Tried making the road in two parts, but that failed - See #3.
#3) You can't start a road where there isn't one on the map. It continually puts Point A back on the last shown road you clicked on, even if you originally chose point A to be in the middle of nowhere (where the new road attaches to another new road.)

Now to be fair, I did this in TomTom Home - perhaps it would work better if I did it right on the TomTom itself - but I have a feeling that the operation is exactly the same in both.

So, does anyone have any ideas how I could go about this in an easier fashion? Or should I just forget about it, and not bother trying to do this intricate road update? (That would REALLY annoy me - because this is what MapShare is for...)

You cannot actually add any roads to the map using mapshare. when you mark a missing road on the tomtom, this info only goes to tomtom to tell them there is a problem. as far as I can see there is no way to draw/mark a new section of road and have it show up on an existing map.

I too would like to see dartmouth crossing and a number of other roads on the maps.

Yeah, I know that they will not show up on the map... I just wanted to make sure that TomTom gets the information so when they DO update the maps, Dartmouth Crossing will be there.
The problem is the interface to mark the roads. I mean I can do a couple roads that start from existing ones (Commodore Drive to CountryView Drive and Wright Ave to the 118), but there are at least two that aren't on there (Lamount Terrace and Finlay) - and do not connect to CountryView Drive. And the lower end of CountryView Drive is not CountryView Drive, it's called Gale Terrace...

I can send you my POI of Dartmouth Crossing, if you'd like. I've not added into my TomTom yet, so it hasn't been sent up to MapShare yet. I'm going to be cleaning up a bunch of 3rd party POIs and adding them into the default POIs for the TomTom because I'm finding I have a lot of duplicates between the default and the 3rd party ones - which annoy me. :)

I'm still trying to figure out if there is a way to add a category to my XL-S so it appears with the default POIs - IE I add the POI to the Change Map option and have my POI Category appear in the list...

Still learning - but I like my GPS. Glad I chose it over a Garmin (it was between the XL-S and the Nuvi 260).

Ask a Question