Do we HAVE to always enter City First?

I just got stung by this last night. I was trying to go to Piman Road, which I thought was in Pitman, NJ. I entered the address but could not find Pitman Road, so I used Pitman Ave in Pitman. Of course I ended up at the wrong place. So I tried in vain to find Pintman Road in the TT1. There is none in Pitman, NJ. Fortunately I knew it crossed Lamb Road, so I found Lamb Road in TT1 and found Pitman Road as a cross road. :mad:

When I arrived, I found out that Pitman Road is in Sewell, NJ. :eek:

Yes, it would be nice to have the option to seach the state for a street name first, then the town.

This is a major drawback, and I'm beginning to think I will return my TT XL.
I only just bought my TT yesterday, and already I've run into the problem of being given a street address in the wrong suburb a couple of times.
I've searched this forum and the TT website, thinking that this would have been an obvious problem for which someone would have an update or fix to offer.
Even when know a cross-road, which would narrow down a choice considerably, you still have to enter a "city" first. This is what particularly annoys me!!
I'm a paramedic, and often the information given by the caller may be limited, or they may think they are in one suburb when actually in the adjoining suburb. Searching for State> Region> Street> Choice of City would be much more efficient in the circumstances.

Thankfully, we can always fall back on the $20 mapbook, which lists streets in the index, and find it from there. But frustrating when time is at a premium, and there is a $300+ piece of ignorance suction-cupped to the windscreen!

^^^^ Sorry to hear of your frustrations with your new TT GPS. If you do end up returning it, please let TT Customer Service know WHY you returned it - its the only way this will ever get addressed.

Thanks for your paramedic efforts!

Tomtom has a more restrictive address input engine vs the competition. However, it has much better congestion/traffic avoidance in directions vs the competition (which is why I bought it).

Since congestion has to move out of the way of ambulances, that added value doesn't help you much. I'd suggest a competitor model.

This would be an excellent features for error correction too...

Example. Whiteford, Maryland has an Eagles Grove Ct. But according to TomTom Eagles Grove Ct is in Dublin, Maryland. While Dublin is a neighboring city its not really that close. If I would have had the ability enter street first for Maryland I would have found it easily. Instead I had to call my work and they had to mapquest it for me...

If I could have done the Street name first I would have realized that Tomtom's city labeling was screwed up...

Last edited:
This is a major drawback, and I'm beginning to think I will return my TT XL.
I only just bought my TT yesterday, and already I've run into the problem of being given a street address in the wrong suburb a couple of times.
I've searched this forum and the TT website, thinking that this would have been an obvious problem for which someone would have an update or fix to offer.
Even when know a cross-road, which would narrow down a choice considerably, you still have to enter a "city" first. This is what particularly annoys me!!
I'm a paramedic, and often the information given by the caller may be limited, or they may think they are in one suburb when actually in the adjoining suburb. Searching for State> Region> Street> Choice of City would be much more efficient in the circumstances.

Thankfully, we can always fall back on the $20 mapbook, which lists streets in the index, and find it from there. But frustrating when time is at a premium, and there is a $300+ piece of ignorance suction-cupped to the windscreen!

Oh definitely return it if you have the ability. When my g/f is off from work I use her Garmin for more accurate directions all around. Also saves me time with better routing.

Put it this way, its on my Christmas list and I got my TomTom last christmas... :)

Oh definitely return it if you have the ability. When my g/f is off from work I use her Garmin for more accurate directions all around. Also saves me time with better routing

Garmin routing and arrival estimates are definitely better than the 2008 and earlier tomtom ONE/XL models, since they don't have IQroutes. The non-IQ routing engine was reputed to be pretty bad.

However, the IQroutes-enabled models have very good directions, and in my experience their directions are MUCH better than any other brand.

Garmin routing and arrival estimates are definitely better than the 2008 and earlier tomtom ONE/XL models, since they don't have IQroutes. The non-IQ routing engine was reputed to be pretty bad.

However, the IQroutes-enabled models have very good directions, and in my experience their directions are MUCH better than any other brand.

While I agree that IQ routes seems like a brilliant idea I'm comparing to a Garmin without that sort of technology either. So does the Tomtom with IQ routes, route as well as a Garmin without that technology now? Not exactly a major leap there....

A lot of the time I dont even know better because I'm not familiar with the area. However sometimes its just plan retarded. I've come up to horse show shaped roads and can see my destination is close the the opposite side of my location. Tomtom tells me to turn and I'll be there in 3 minutes, I drive straight and it recalculates to 0 minutes, its like why didnt it do that in the first place?

Perfect example (if your bored :) ) Mapquest - 1399 Scottsdale Dr, Bel Air, MD. Notice the roads design, if you were heading south on Knollcrest Dr it would tell you to make the first turn into Scottsdale and drive all the way around. Not a big deal, its gets you there. However it takes you off a 30+ mph road with a shorter distance and puts up on a 10 mph neighborhood road for a longer distance.

Its like a taxi driver running me up... :)

My next GPS will be researched a lot more thoroughly before purchase. It might be a Tomtom with all the bells and whistles, I'm not totally knocking it because it has its ups and downs then again it might be something else... :)

Ask a Question