Speed not always showing

nsj

TomTom Model(s)
GO 750/550 1GB
I have a GO 750/550 1GB which since my last update often doesn't show my speed - only the speed limit. This phenomenon seems to consistently occur on the same roads every time.
Does anyone else have this problem, know the reason and, more particularly, know the fix?

Do you have a gps lock on the road? If the speed disappears at the same place repeatedly, there may be a gps blocker in the vicinity. (illegal in many countries, but .....) Or it may be simply a location where the gps signal can't get through (high buildings, trees, etc.)

Until my last map update I have never had this problem so I doubt if a GPS lock has suddenly been put in place (here in Australia) despite it occuring on the same stretches of road.
Also interesting is that the speed disappears for about 1km, reappears for another 1KM (approx.) then again disappears for a short time. I should add there are no buildings nor mountains nearby - it's basically an open country highway where this most occurs.

My last update was the latest Australian map.

Software version? Device AKUSA AJEPW, App 9.430.890926.1, OS 842337 (2008, 21/3/2012), 64 MB RAM (free: 11.9 MB), GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5277, Map: 'Australia' v890.4278, Language: English UK.

I've tried all the suggested steps except for step 8 - I never backed up my device.

It also happens when I run a demo.

I normally have the current time displayed on the status bar and this is when I have the problem. However, when I choose not to display the current time the speed limit is displayed in a red circle and the actual speed is also displayed - OK. Under these settings, when the demo hits the roads where I have the problem the display changes to the maximum speed over the actual speed then changes back to the red circled speed limit plus the actual speed. But I would prefer to display the current time.
I hope this helps.

Ahh, light dawns! That's what's know in the TomTom world as "an improvement, sir".

You must have accepted a mandatory software update too when you updated the map, as this is entirely down to the software version.

Someone at TT decided these new speed limit SIGNS were a great idea, but as they take up more space, something had to give.
There's now a complicated set of conditions as to what items can or cannot be shown on the status bar at the same time, and only one of them gives the speed limit in the old way.
The poor user gets less options now and it looks like your particular set of preferences aren't catered for.
All you can do is manually go back to a previous software version, or complain to TomTom (or both!)

Ahh, I understand.

However, what I don't understand is why the speed simply disappears only at specific sections of particular roads where the speed limit itself (100kph) doesn't change.

Thanks for your help :)

However, what I don't understand is why the speed simply disappears only at specific sections of particular roads where the speed limit itself (100kph) doesn't change.

Ahh, maybe I *don't* understand!
I somehow missed that part of your original description, sorry....

I was sidetracked by the software change from ordinary text display of speed to the new "speed limit" signs, and the knock-on consequences that's had.

I now think your problem *is* map related, so that the speed data has got missed off for certain road segments.

If you go to "Map Corrections" in the menu, can you add a road speed for that stretch of road and then see if the display works properly?

The speed limit remains displayed at all times - it never disappears. It's only the current speed which vanishes on the specific sections.

Sorry if I hadn't made that point clear.

No... I think it's all down to me speed-reading badly!

I must admit I'm flummoxed now.

Yes, I'm at a loss too.
I'll leave this thread as unresolved for the time being in case someone else has an idea.

A curious situation! We'd like to hear if it still happens with the upcoming map update.

Yes, I'm at a loss too.
I'll leave this thread as unresolved for the time being in case someone else has an idea.

I'd be curious as to whether your car is still being tracked properly whenever the current speed disappears.........

To alfie67 - I'll let you know the outcome after the next map update.

To dhn - The unit works perfectly in every respect except for the current speed occasionally disappearing. It disappears on the same sections, of the same roads every time I drive those routes. As I stated in an earlier post there are no high buildings nearby, few tall trees - in fact these sections are in what is literally open countryside!

Ask a Question