Displaying waypoint names in navigation window

Hi -I have a map overlay on TTN6 showing various sites around the city. Often, when navigating from A to B I will pass one of these waypoints and notice that something needs doing to it. However, the waypoint is shown on the map just as a generic icon, and clicking on it brings up the settings menu rather than the waypoint details. The only way around the problem I have found is to flick through the menus to get it let me "browse map" at which point I can click on the waypoints, but this is inconvenient when moving.

Is there a simpler way to get it to tell me the name of a waypoint as I pass by?

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Ben. Welcome to TTF. I have tried to find a way to do exactly what you ask and one further. While driving by it I would like to be able to click on it and nav to it. The response i get for that has been "well you can see the icon so just steer toward it" Problem there is sometimes that is going the wrong way on a one way road...

I hope someone might be able to answer you... I cannot. Sorry!

That looks interesting. However, my original post may have been misleading - it is nearby POI's not way points that are my issue. If I plan a route from here to POI x, I will pass many other POI's on the way, and was looking for a way to easily identify them...

Thanks for the help though - much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ben

Didn't know they parle francais down under. Is there a similar (French or other...) site for the GO 910, or can one apply the explanation for TomToms in general?

For future reference the english version of that site is here

What barkerben is asking for is this: I'm driving along and see three knife & fork iconed restaurants up ahead at the next exit. They're off the road so I can't see them from the highway. What are they? Should I exit and pray one of them is a McDonalds so my kids will pipe down? :) It would be nice if the names of the nearest X POIs were displayed along with the icon.

I asked about this for geocaching when I got my GO Classic (tho it was just a GO back then) and they said no.

I know its not exactly what you asked for but I have solved the issue for myself by putting in seperate POI's for everything I'm likely to use. so when I drive past a McDonalds the golden arches icon is displayed, go past Burger King and you get their icon

I know its not exactly what you asked for but I have solved the issue for myself by putting in seperate POI's for everything I'm likely to use. so when I drive past a McDonalds the golden arches icon is displayed, go past Burger King and you get their icon
Yes, that is a great solution (and I have used many of the forum-supplied icon sets!), but doesn't solve everything. Each geocache has a name, and I would like that name displayed for each geocache POI. They might all have the same icon, but the text would be different.

I believe with the new 720 units, they have branded POI's so as you are driving you should see in the navigation screen an icon for a bank such as B of A built-in.

But of course, they probably won't have everything so the having the custom poi's will help.

Hosko describes what I've found handy. I download the common ones I might go to (McDonald's, Bruger Kings, Starbucks, etc.) so their custom icons show up in 3d nav view. (Thanks to Pedro2NR for all the hard work on most of those!)

BTW, I have a 910.

I've searched for a way to click on the icons in nav view too, but haven't found anything. My workaround for that is to redesign the menus so that 'Browse Map' is the top center icon on the first page. That way, one click on the view gives me the menu and one more tap, I'm looking at the top-down map where I can click on the icons. Until something else comes up, that seems to be the best solution.

Ask a Question