Displaying POI's w/o navigating

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
I'm new to TT, and just got yesterday the 730. My question is, how do I get the unit to display the POI's while it is not navigating a route? I have loaded the POI's of the TT Home, e.g., Walgreens. I'm stopped right next to one but yet I don't see the icon for it displayed in the map.

Now, if I were to navigate to one (Walgreens) and I chose it from the list of nearby POI's, then it will show up.

I just would like to have the ability to see the POI's as I approach them, or am nearby.

Preference-->Show poi on map and then scroll through checking the categories you want. Selecting too many (more than 4 or 5 categories) tends to make screen refreshes slower.

Also you HAVE backed your unit's contents up using Explorer, not Home, right?

Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Preference-->Show poi on map and then scroll through checking the categories you want. Selecting too many (more than 4 or 5 categories) tends to make screen refreshes slower.

Also you HAVE backed your unit's contents up using Explorer, not Home, right?

Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

I do have all the poi's selected, categories and community created poi's. I don't have Explorer, I'm on a Mac and have backed up the unit with Home. What's the downside to using Home as opposed to Explorer?

Home's backups are unreliable at times. Missing files, corrupting files, restores that won't restore. Always backing up to the same folder rather than giving the user to create differently named folders for different backups the way Explorer (Finder) does.

I do have all the poi's selected, categories and community created poi's. I don't have Explorer, I'm on a Mac and have backed up the unit with Home. What's the downside to using Home as opposed to Explorer?

On a Mac the backup is quite simple. Select the drive (internal or SD if you have one). Select all (command-A) and drag the contents to a folder on your computer (I title the folder with the current date).

I'm new to TT, and just got yesterday the 730. My question is, how do I get the unit to display the POI's while it is not navigating a route? I have loaded the POI's of the TT Home, e.g., Walgreens. I'm stopped right next to one but yet I don't see the icon for it displayed in the map.

Now, if I were to navigate to one (Walgreens) and I chose it from the list of nearby POI's, then it will show up.

I just would like to have the ability to see the POI's as I approach them, or am nearby.
* For not navigating, using Browse Maps
+ enable POIs that you want to be displayed (Preference Changes -> Show POIs)
+ tab Main Menu -> Browse Maps (zoom out if needed)

* For navigating
+ enable POIs that you want to be displayed (Preference Changes -> Show POIs)
+ also enable POI alert if needed.

Ask a Question