Disk i/o [Drive Access] on 910

Odd... recently, did not catch exactly when or what caused the change, my TT910 when connected to the computer:
Keeps flashing witht the hand and the red [X] "Please wait" while the little disk access icon on the lower left keeps flashing alternating with the standy screen with no hand.

I never had this behavior before. The only time it flashed, was during i/o of the drive, and stopped while idle. Now it always flashes or cycles.

Any one else with this issue? As far as I can tell, I have v 6.525.7714

Thanks in advance for any clues.

-= BoomBoom =-
BTW, came back from a month long tour of Germany, Switzerland and France, and the unit performed great! Would have been lost otherwise. A real time saver.... and surprise, a new mount when I got home.

Last edited:
Did a hard reset..... no change. What I really need is a document with all the files that should be there and what they are for.

Which can be safely deleted, and which are part of the core OS.

I wonder if there is such a list somewhere in WEBland.

Well, I still have the same problem. When connected on the computer, AND I'M NOT DOING ANY I/O,

1] every 3-4 seconds the flashing red [X] and the HD GUI pops up for 1-2 seconds
2] then 3-4 seconds with no red [X], unit is happy and at rest
3] the we loop back to step [1]

Wonder what is going on. If only I had another unit to compare if this is normal.:confused:

-= BoomBoom =-

You may be experiencing an impending HD failure in the unit. You might also check it for viruses, but it looks like possible HD problem. Also, does it do this when TT Home is running, or even when it is simply connected as a device?

You might try connecting it to another computer and see if it acts the same way.

It does it when Home is running.

I have no idea when on the road, as there is no little "blink" to notify the user that I/O's are happening, except when recalculating the routes.

Ummmm. I think I deleted an important file.. Darn it, somewhere there must be a programmer's manual explaining all the important files. I'm not a Unix person.... :confused:

RE: Blinking 'Xs' On Screen.

As to your blinking X's on the screen and the hard drive flashing...you've more than likely got severe file corruption...or missing startup files. The one way that you can get around this, without even being a LINUX guru, is to access the drive through 'My Computer' then formatting your drive. If you have a backup of your software, you can then use your TomTom home to restore it to a usable state.
I've tried this with my 920 to make sure this procedure worked a few times when I had first purchases it a week ago. No problems to report. As for files, I'll try to send a dump 'gif' of my screen after the New Year.

Take care, Happy 2008!! Cheers!:D

CVV

Ask a Question