Discrepancy in listed capacity (and non-answers)

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
My GO720 shows a total capacity of 1955.6 MB, with free space of 199.6 MB. The total of application + maps + voices is 1283.0 MB, which added to the free space is 1482.6 MB, leaving 473.0 MB unaccounted for.

I asked TomTom CS to explain this discrepancy, and got this response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Support regarding space on your device. My name is Harvey and it is our goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are always happy to help. The reason the applications and the map show smaller on the device is because it is compressed differently on the device. There is normally room left on the device because it will need it for favorites and addresses that you put in to navigate to. How much space is showing as free space for the device?

Does anyone see that as an answer to the question? If you do, please, please explain it to me.

I've sent a number of questions to TomTom via email on their web site and gotten non-answers back. Has anyone else had that experience, or am I simply obtuse?

I suspect a LOT of folks on this forum know way more about the TomTom than the customer support personnel, so I'm hoping someone here can answer the question for me. (If you do, I'll send a copy to TomTom for use in training their CSRs.)

Ask a Question