Tom Tom one, usa maps not listed for purchase

Hi,

I have sent a request to customer support looking for a reply to this question 5 days ago but have not received anything back.

I have a Tom Tom one, which I have the uk and ireland maps on.

I am going to Florida next week and I want to dled the Florida maps. I have gone to purchase maps but I cannot find anything available to purchase for the USA. I can see many other places available.

Can someone tell me how I get USA maps.

Thanks.

I don't believe it's possible to get a US map small enough to fit into 512 mb, especially since your model does not have external storage to my understanding.

I don't believe it's possible to get a US map small enough to fit into 512 mb, especially since your model does not have external storage to my understanding.

Well that sucks...

Only wanted maps for Florida...not the whole usa....this not possible?

I looked at the webpage, the smallest map I can find is for the whole of the USA....
USA - Single Map(v8.90)
799.8 MB

But I only need one state...

TT used to do maps for smaller areas, but I think it costs them a lot in manhours to convert and compress the data from TeleAtlas, so they've reduced the catalogue.

TT used to do maps for smaller areas, but I think it costs them a lot in manhours to convert and compress the data from TeleAtlas, so they've reduced the catalogue.

Whats TT?

Wouldnt have bought this model if I had realized it wont work for some areas.

TT=TomTom

One of TomTom's marketing faults right from the beginning is that they never state up-front what the limitations of each model may be.
Foolish really, as it may generate greater sales of the more expensive models.

Is there anyway I can buy the american map and put it on my device but not include whole thing, just the bit I need?

TT=TomTom

One of TomTom's marketing faults right from the beginning is that they never state up-front what the limitations of each model may be.
Foolish really, as it may generate greater sales of the more expensive models.

Pretty bad really.

If I have to buy a new GPS to do this, Ill have to steer clear of Tom Tom brand next time.

Now Ill have two devices, a bit pointless.

No -- the North American map cannot be subdivided for loading. The size and detail of our map here simply precludes fitting it into a 512M memory model anymore. There are/were other models of the ONE that had as much as 2GB of internal storage, and included the Western European map as well, but those did cost more, and evidently you didn't have the need for that much map at the time you purchased.

Now Ill have two devices, a bit pointless.
You could just has easily have been bit buying a really low end Garmin with the bare minimum of memory back in 2008 when your ONE 30 was released. It's not just a TomTom issue. Garmin does slice and dice their maps more finely still, but even their segments won't all fit into some of their older units.

Last edited by a moderator:
It said on the box I could buy maps for other places worldwide, so they are lying to their customers. At best misleading them by not explaining the limitations.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the time you purchased your unit, you COULD buy maps for other places "worldwide", and that was the case for a number of years. Maps have grown substantially in the last 5 years, and I think it was just last year that you'd have run into trouble with your 512M unit.

It won't be long, I suspect, before TomTom has to bite the bullet and segment the North American map set the same way they had to do with Europe because it won't realistically fit into 2GB anymore, either.

At the time you purchased your unit, you COULD buy maps for other places "worldwide", and that was the case for a number of years. Maps have grown substantially in the last 5 years, and I think it was just last year that you'd have run into trouble with your 512M unit.

It won't be long, I suspect, before TomTom has to bite the bullet and segment the North American map set the same way they had to do with Europe because it won't realistically fit into 2GB anymore, either.

I cant remember the exact date I bought this, but it cant be more than 2.5 years ago because Im only driving that long.

So my product does what its suppose to do for 2.5 years and then all of a sudden stops working, because Tom Tom decide to no longer segment their maps. After all now people will have to buy new devices, thats just good business.

Yep, thats a great way to treat customers.

Whats canderson?

Unfortunately I get not option to dl any USA maps. I type in first two letters of my model and it filters out USA altogether from my options.

Closest I see is "Canada and Alaska" and "Mexico".

Ask a Question