Discrepancy between Rider and Tyre

TomTom Model(s)
Rider
I just purchased the TomTom Ride...and I have to say I love it! However, I have noticed quite a discrepancy between the travel time when creating a route in Tyre (through google earth and copied to Rider) and then opening it up on Rider. I am planning a trip down to TN in a couple weeks and am trying to get this figured out. My 1st leg...Tyre tells me it's 6.5 hours and when opening on the Rider it tells me it's almost 8. Am I opening the route plan wrong? I did notice when I open an itinerary and select start navigation it takes me to the screen asking me what type of route I want to plan. I've already planned the route...why is is asking me what type then? Could this be the issue? How do I open a saved route on RIder without having to again select what type of route I would like to plan?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael and welcome to TTF!

-Be sure you have selected "Show ALL menu Options.
-Go to "Planning Preferences"
-Select the options you want. I generally use "Always" rather than "every time" for routing preferences. Once you select "Always" it should stop asking you what type of route you want to plan.

The Rider has IQ routing and thus I have found it much more ETA accurate compared to TYRE. You could easily try it on a local shorter route (especially through urban areas) to test it. My IQ routes are always spot on!

Good luck with your trip. What do you ride?

Your Rider uses its own map for determination of route and ETA, and the data there will be different than that of any other source. A recent Rider will include IQRoutes data in the map. IQRoutes maps have average road speeds embedded for many roads and those averages are, we believe, sliced and diced in 15 minute intervals by day of week. However, for roads for which there is no historical data (and for 'major' roads, that's very rare), a fixed speed will be assumed based upon road type. I have no idea what Tyre is using for its road speed estimates.

Hi Michael and welcome to TTF!

-Be sure you have selected "Show ALL menu Options.
-Go to "Planning Preferences"
-Select the options you want. I generally use "Always" rather than "every time" for routing preferences. Once you select "Always" it should stop asking you what type of route you want to plan.

The Rider has IQ routing and thus I have found it much more ETA accurate compared to TYRE. You could easily try it on a local shorter route (especially through urban areas) to test it. My IQ routes are always spot on!

Good luck with your trip. What do you ride?

I do have "always" selected but it still asks me what type of route I want to plan....hmmmm. I'm wondering if it ignores the route type when opening an itinerary regardless of what I select. I selected fastest route...which would have been mostly highways....but it looks like it loaded my specified route. But I think that would be somewhat of a "bug" in the software.

I ride a 2009 Honda VTX 1300R...love it. Have done some mod's...almost done. Need to get a new pic posted for my profile.

If you specify a series of waypoints with Tyre (creating an *.itn file), your unit will use whatever routing method you select to move between each of those points in succession when you execute that pre-planned route. If you select "Always ask", then you'll be asked. I'm not clear yet what it did that you didn't expect. Can you elaborate a bit more?

If you specify a series of waypoints with Tyre (creating an *.itn file), your unit will use whatever routing method you select to move between each of those points in succession when you execute that pre-planned route. If you select "Always ask", then you'll be asked. I'm not clear yet what it did that you didn't expect. Can you elaborate a bit more?

OK...that makes sense to me now. It creates the fastest (or whichever route type I choose) between waypoints...rather than calculating a route from point A to point B with no waypoints. I was thinking that it would just ignore all waypoints because it was asking for the type of route. That basically works when no waypoints are involved...but waypoints take precedent first THEN fastest route between each one.

Thanks for the clarification!

If you execute an itinerary, yes, that takes precedence. In fact, there are times when users have wished to take their own route vs. what the unit recommends based upon configuration (fastest or whatever) where we recommend they create an itinerary that forces the route to what they prefer. If you add enough waypoints that it doesn't become faster to keep jumping back to a major highway, for example, you can avoid a highway that would otherwise be the no-brainer choice for routing.

Ask a Question