deactivating tomtom accounts

OK, another question related to having my 720 replaced under warranty.

As I understand it, I cannot register a different GPS to the same email address, right?

I am running out of email addresses to use since my husband and I each have a tomtom and each of us have had them replaced under warranty.

I posted an email on the tomtom site and was told that they will not reactivate a "disabled" account. Does anyone know if that frees up my email address for future use?

That sounds like total BS - is their outsourced "support" training anyone anymore?

I have had no problem registering different devices on my TT account. TT Home is specifically set up to do that - plus if you have any problems, you call (never email) support.

When you get your new unit (after you make a complete windows backup first as instructed in many posts), you open Home and go to log onto your account. it should ask if you want to assign this unit to the account.

If you have not changed the assigned device on the account in the last 6 months, you should be done. If you have (and they are trying to tell you you can't), then you CALL them and TELL them to do it.

Any maps or Plus Services subscriptions (like traffic) will remain there with that account. Maps will offer to be downloaded for up to 12 months (if they are newer then the replacement device), but you might need some help with services - again - CALL.

Last edited:
It may not but there was a thread here some time ago that was a great tip for those needing many email addresses.

Set up an email with google's gmail, let's say (e-mail address removed).

Now then, if you go to TomTom or any site requiring an email address, you can show your address as something like (e-mail address removed), or (e-mail address removed) or any other variation of your original email address with a dot between any two letters.

The key thing is that ALL mail sent to ANY of the email addresses you provided will ALL go to your original (e-mail address removed) address and that is EXACTLY what you want!

OK, another question related to having my 720 replaced under warranty.

As I understand it, I cannot register a different GPS to the same email address, right?

I am running out of email addresses to use since my husband and I each have a tomtom and each of us have had them replaced under warranty.

I posted an email on the tomtom site and was told that they will not reactivate a "disabled" account. Does anyone know if that frees up my email address for future use?
When I've replaced a device with a new unit the web site wouldn't allow me to assign it to the old address - the 6 months thing. But when I called in to TT support they were able to change it for me and assign the new device to the old email address. I've done this twice with new devices that were purchased within that 6 month period. My wife and I use different devices - a 920 and 930 - so each of these is assigned to different email addresses but if one were to be replaced the support people would/should reassign the new new device to the same address. But you will have to call them.
John

If you downloaded a map (under the map guarantee or otherwise), you WILL want to use the same account if it was first downloaded within 12 months. This is attached to your account, and you will be able to download it to your replacement unit through Home.

If you have never CHANGED you device (or done so within 6 months), you will not have to call support for anything.

Let us know how it comes out.

Better then using the .'s in a gmail address you can also use a + and anything you want after your name. For example if your gmail address is (e-mail address removed). You can use [email protected], or [email protected]. Gmail will ignore anything after the + and route it to your mailbox.

I tried that to see if the email was delivered to me and it was. Would Tomtom see that as a new email address in terms of registering a new GPS? If so that is a neat idea for future purchases. Thanks :)

Ask a Question