Data Connection on New Phone

TomTom Model(s)
GO 2535
I just got a new phone (HTC Imagio) and according to my GO 730 this one is capable of a data connection. Unfortunately I am not smart enough to set up the data connection. TT asks for the following information, some of which I have:
Access Point Name: emgsm.vzw3g.com
User Name: my phone #@vzw3g.com
Password: vzw
Number to dial: #777
Automatic assigned DCHP
Automatic assigned DNS
Login Script: ???

This is what I have put in, then TT says it is unable to configure the connection.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

For the phone to work with the TomTom it must support the Bluetooth DUN profile which WM5 and newer phones don't have, there is a BT DUN CAB file available on the net for free download that will add the required DUN profile to the phone but I am not aware whether anyone has actually tried using this fix on the Imagio as yet, the best place for finding out will be XDA Developers.com as they will probably already have a dedicated section for this new phone (the same site is where the BT DUN CAB can be downloaded from) - Mike

I just got a new phone (HTC Imagio) and according to my GO 730 this one is capable of a data connection. Unfortunately I am not smart enough to set up the data connection. TT asks for the following information, some of which I have:
Access Point Name: emgsm.vzw3g.com
User Name: my phone #@vzw3g.com
Password: vzw
Number to dial: #777
Automatic assigned DCHP
Automatic assigned DNS
Login Script: ???

This is what I have put in, then TT says it is unable to configure the connection.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Leave the AP name and Login Script blank. Everything else looks good.

Thanks for the replies. TT GO730 says that the phone is data capable and tries to set it up but there are no presets for this phone so it needs to be set up manually and therein lies the problem. I have tried various configurations, including leaving different (and all) items blank but am still having no luck. I tried calling Verizon but they won't help me because this will be competing with the VZ Navigator. (dirty word).

Its time do that unmanly thing and read the manual for the phone, you only need to find out what Bluetooth profiles are supported, does the phone have DUN listed as available? - If not I don't care what TomTom support or the TomTom device think might be working the connection won't work full stop - The DUN profile MUST be on the phone for the device to work with the server, if its not present you will be messing around for days, weeks, months even years and never get it working - Mike

Thanks Mike;

I did not get a manual with the phone, only a booklet titled "Tips, hints & shortcuts", which is about as useful as teats on a boar hog. When I go in the phone to Bluetooth Supported Profiles it shows the following:

Hands free
Stereo audio
File transfer
Object push
Basic printing
Basic imaging
Serial Port
Human interface device
Dial-up networking
Phone book access

It doesn't say anything about DUN unless that stands for Dial-up networking.

Sorry I'm so dense but I am of the older generation and even though I am computer literate I still get hung up on these intricate things.

Thanks,

Joel

DUN is indeed Dial Up Networking so the phone must support this protocol, either MS have had an about turn and included it in WM6,5 or HTC have got smart and decided to add it to the ROM - the phone will work fine once you get the settings resolved which sadly isn't something I can help with as I have no knowledge of the USA based mobile network - Mike

Try these settings, but if it works wait a bill cycle before heavy usage. Sometimes Verizon charges this connection as peak minutes instead of data.

APN - blank
username - [email protected] (replace with phone number)
password - vzn
Dial - #777
script - blank

Ask a Question