720 data connection with HTC Evo 4g

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
My tom tom complains that my phone doesn't seem to have a data connection so it cant use tom toms services. clearly my phone does so i was curious if anyone has an idea how to get it working. would love to use the traffic feature on my tom tom after finally upgrading my phone. :rant:

You need to find out if your phone supports the Bluetooth DUN profile, if it doesn't the TomTom won't be able to use the phone for a data connection. Note the DUN profile is rather dated, most modern phones tend to use the Bluetooth PAN profile these days, which won't work with a TomTom - Mike

You need to find out if your phone supports the Bluetooth DUN profile, if it doesn't the TomTom won't be able to use the phone for a data connection. Note the DUN profile is rather dated, most modern phones tend to use the Bluetooth PAN profile these days, which won't work with a TomTom - Mike

Well this is what i found from searching:

Supported Profiles: HSP 1.1, HFP 1.5, OPP, FTP, PBA, A2DP 1.2, AVRC
version 2.1+EDR

:rant:

One option is a cheap secondhand mobile with a PAYG sim card fitted left in the car (out of view) and use that for th edata connection, not ideal but you won't get your fancy new phone to work with the TomTom for a data connection from the list of BT protocols you list - Mike

One option is a cheap secondhand mobile with a PAYG sim card fitted left in the car (out of view) and use that for th edata connection, not ideal but you won't get your fancy new phone to work with the TomTom for a data connection from the list of BT protocols you list - Mike

yeah the 720 is outdated, i know. but it helped a TON on the Canada trip i just came back from and works fine so its not THAT big of a deal. i can always use the traffic app on the phone. thanks.

yeah the 720 is outdated, i know.
The problem isn't your 720, it's your provider that won't allow the use of your phone as a tethering device - a very common situation these days. Your phone doesn't (natively) even have the necessary profile to do it. What they're trying to prevent is your use of their bandwidth to use your HTC as an internet connection for a PC or similar. Unfortunately, that also kills your ability to use it for the same purpose with your TomTom. That's why Mike was recommending an alternate phone from an alternate provider - one that permits this use - just for powering the traffic on your TomTom. It doesn't consume much data at all.

The problem isn't your 720, it's your provider that won't allow the use of your phone as a tethering device - a very common situation these days. Your phone doesn't (natively) even have the necessary profile to do it. What they're trying to prevent is your use of their bandwidth to use your HTC as an internet connection for a PC or similar. Unfortunately, that also kills your ability to use it for the same purpose with your TomTom. That's why Mike was recommending an alternate phone from an alternate provider - one that permits this use - just for powering the traffic on your TomTom. It doesn't consume much data at all.

Thanks for the info.

Ask a Question