Customizing Route..how?

We purchased a Magellan 1200 Roadmate for our daughter in college. We were disappointed to find out that you can not make a custom map on Mapquest or Google and then send it to the unit. After asking around on the net, I was told you can do this with TomToms. So we purchased a TomTom One 130 (v4).
Come to find out, you can't do that with this GPS unit either. So disappointing!! We just spent money on a 2nd GPS that was not much different than the first other than more voices and louder speakers.

Here is what we are trying to do. We live in a small town in the middle of California. When we put our address in and then map it to our daughter's address in So Cal, it wants to take a particular route every time. However, she wants to go another route which takes a lttle longer but is less dangerous (highway 395 is one of the most dangerous highways in California and it wants to route her there every time). We go into Google Maps and use the to/from and it routes the map (using 395). We then move the map line over to highway 14 then down to 210 then to the 57. Once done, there is no way to upload this customized map to the GPS, something we were told WOULD work from several TomTom users. When you look at the "send to" list it just shows "email" as an option. Using TomTom Home, you can not move the route line over to where you want it, otherwise that would work.

We are back to finding a random address along the route that will force the GPS to go the way we want (in this case: JPL aka Jet Propulsion Laboratory in La Canada). Then when she gets there, she has to reset it to another address in Duarte for a car dealership. Then from there...to her "Home" address. She just ignores the GPS when it tells her to exit the freeway to get to the JPL and car dealership addresses.

Maybe we just don't understand how to use POI's and things like that. It would be so much eaiser to route a map on Google and customize it then upload it. Sometimes you don't want to go the way the GPS says to go.

Anyone know how to make something like this work?

Thanks....

What you are looking for is Itinerary Planning. All Go models have that feature. So does the One XL, I think. I do not know whether your model has that capability.

There are third party tools that work in conjunction with TomTom and Google maps. One can be found here. Another, TYRE is used by many here and an excellent 'how to' link by a member here, Birdman, can be reached here.

In the meantime, if your unit does not have the Itinerary Planning, when a route is determined by TomTom, you can use the 'Select Alternate' option and select the road you want to travel by.

Well, that's just my luck that I got the one model that does not have this feature. Every forum I posted my question on, people would come back and say "get a TomTom, they do what you're asking about". I should have asked them which models do it. My mistake.

I'll try the suggstions you gave and see if we can make this work the way we want.

Thanks for your help.

The 130 does have the option to avoid a particular road on the route. In the main menu, tap "Avoid part of route." The 130 also allows you to set up waypoints to pass. In the main menu, tap "Travel via..."

Ask a Question