Creating POIs

TomTom Model(s)
ONE v2
Hi,

I'm just wondering how to make your own POIs? I know you can do that in the unit itself but I won't be able to create the logo right?

IOW, instead of bugging you guys non-stop, I'd like to create it on my own, especially since there's not a lot of Canadian owners and we're rather spread apart (either BC on the west or Ontario in the east).

Hi Pedro,

so you use poi2go to search and poiedit to put them into ov2 format??

Also, for the bmp, do I simply add that into the folder or do I import it to the poiedit program?

POI2GO converts them to ov2. I sometimes use POIedit to append 2 or more ov2 files or remove some enteries.
the .bmp file is added to the north america folder. Make sure the image is the exact same name as the .ov2 file.

ohh, that's how you do it so quickly. I was manually adding it by hand to POIedit because POI2GO was running a bit slow.

Oh, one more thing. On the ONE, it's called USA_and_Canada not North_America

Thanks!

Last edited:
Has anyone else noticed that the poi2go site isn't working at all?

It does seem to be off-line a great deal of the time. I use the downloaded version of poi2go. It is always up and running and has been very accurate.:D

Long / Lat application

What application / URL do you "pros" used to create a POI for tomtom.
I found this http://stevemorse.org/jcal/latlon.php
I think it works well :). I really no way to verify (that i can see).
Any help would be appreciated. I know once i go to a location my tomtom with tell me.

Thanks

I installed Google Maps - free version.
Installed PoiEdit 2007.
I created a POI for one store - including icon. How do you create several? All USA Wal-Marts etc? Rather than only one.
thanks

I have found that you can export the results from Google Earth to a kml file and POI Edit can open a kml file...the only issue is that you can only save 10 entries at a time from Google Earth so I am just concentrating on my local city (Cincinnati).

I have found that you can export the results from Google Earth to a kml file and POI Edit can open a kml file...the only issue is that you can only save 10 entries at a time from Google Earth so I am just concentrating on my local city (Cincinnati).

Interesting, although the results are different with different tools. I wanted to make a POI file for antique shop in southern Michigan.

With Google Earth I entered the search "Antique Shop, Saline, MI" and found furniture restoration shops, car parts, Bombay furniture?, Mopar supplies, but no real antique shops.

Using the tool, MyPoi the same search returned mostly antique shops, used book stores, Collectibles and a couple of auto restorations shop. This was much closer to what I had in mind.

Also interesting, there were no duplicates in the two searches.

Now I am not saying one is better, just you may want to check multiple sources during your search.

Hello All-

I'm new here with a brand new TT ONE 3rd Ed - US-Can

I just wanted to say that the software available from the link posted above will run natively on a Mac.

I just created a test POI file on a PPC Mac running OS 10.4.11. I don't remember if I previously installed Java on this Mac or if it's already installed. In any case, I just double-clicked the .jar file and MyPOI was running great in a Java window.

I'm disappointed with the TomTom Home's Mac version but this free POI program was a very pleasant surprise.

It seems everything else requires Windows on Boot Camp on my Intel Mac.

Are there any Mac specific TomTom resources condensed here or elsewhere?

I have downloaded the program poi edit 2 go and it said if it came down as a zip to rename it and I did and then double clicked it and it unpacked it and there is no program there just cass files. What is up with this???

Ask a Question