Convert OV2 to TLV

RE: Convert OV2 to TLV

All the threads I have read talk about creating a GPX file in third party programs and then converting to *.OV2 files. Unfortunately the *.TLV is the native extension for files in the POI folder on my Tom Tom 730.

Can anyone guide me through the process to convert *.OV2 files to *.TLV?

Is there a third party software to do it?

What if I put *.OV2 files in the POI folder? I tried it and they do not appear on "Place POI on Map", but maybe I Missed a step and have to create a new or custom "Category".

Any help will be appreciated as I create routes and tracks on my DeLorme laptop program and when completed would like to be able to view on the Tom Tom GO 730.

Jim Bannon
(e-mail address removed)

The native format for custom poi files in TomTom IS .ov2 and that file MUST go in the specific map folder on your unit. If you dl an associated .bmp file, it goes in the map folder as well.

Don't worry about a .tlv file, it's just a description of the associated .ov2 file and doesn't show on the map even if you put it in the map folder.

So, in summary, convert from Garmin gpx file to TomTom ov2 file. Put ov2 file into the map folder.

RE: Reply to thread 'Convert OV2 to TLV'

RE: Reply to thread 'Convert OV2 to TLV'

Rob,

Thank you for the prompt AND ACCURATE REPLY!. It was nice to get a straight answer. Tech support at Tom Tom was worse than useless. No one could explain the *.OV2 versus *.TLV.

I wasn't quite sure about your answer, either. You used the term [quoting you] "specific map folder on your unit". Well there is a folder H:\maps which is the Windows Explorer view of the internal memory. The only thing in there is:

H:\maps\ North_America_2GB.tlv

As it turns out, I came to realize you were suggesting the H:\North_America_2GB folder.

I figured this out by downloading a new POI using Tom Tom HOME and then searched for the POI name "17_Miles".

Here's what I found....

H:\North_America_2GB\17_Miles_Drive.ov2
H:\North_America_2GB\17_Miles_Drive.bmp
H:\poi\17_Miles_Drive.tlv

So the OV2 and the image go in the H:\North_America_2GB folder and something creates a .tlv file in the H:\poi folder. If I use a third party program to create a *.OV2 from a *.GPX file and put it in H:\North_America_2GB, what can I expect by not having a BMP image file and not having (or knowing how to create) a *.TLV file in H:\poi

FOLLOW-ON QUESTION, PLEASE
===========================
I have discovered thru trial and error that it does not matter if I put *.mp3 files in internal memory, or on the SD Card, as long as I put them in a mp3 folder on the root.

I am trying to put as much as I can on the SD Card to free up what is a limited 2GB memory on the unit's internal memory. I have discovered there are LOTS of *.dat files in "H:\North_America_2GB" folder, with sizes ranging from 685,037KB down to 608KB.

Now, my next question is... does it matter if I store these *.ov2 Point Of Interest files in internal memory "H:\" in my case which is limited to 2GB, or can I store it on my new 16GB SD card in a structure like this?

E:\North_America_2GB\17_Miles_Drive.ov2
E:\North_America_2GB\17_Miles_Drive.bmp
E:\poi\17_Miles_Drive.tlv

Do I need to have all the *.dat files in this E:\North_America_2GB folder? That seems like a duplication!

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

FINALLY, is there a "White Paper: anywhere that explains the file structure and what information goes in each folder? I discovered the hard way that voices for the navigation guidance when navigating a route are stored, not in the "H:\voice" file [that would be too logical], but in a folder "H:\LoquendoTTS" with subfolders \bin, \data, \lib. Man, that one threw me.

Looking forward to your reply,

Jim Bannon
(e-mail address removed)

The custom .ov2 files and associated .bmp go in the North_America map folder, regardless of whether you put that map folder on a sdhc card or keep it in internal.

All the cspeechxx.dat files in the NA map folder (1 for each state + Canada + PR + DC) are used for the Voice Recognition functionality only. If you never plan to use that functionality (over rated in my opinion) in a specific state, just remove the related file. for example, if you won't ever use it in Texas, remove the TX file.

I'd copy them to the PC rather than delete them for good.

Ask a Question