converting 550 to 540

TomTom Model(s)
XXL550TM
Recently bought a XXL550TM. After reading up on model differences, I would like a 540TM. My son has a 540TM. I have done backups for both units on my computer. I was wondering if I were to delete the 550 software from my unit and load the 540 software onto my unit, what problems might I have? Will it work? What about the activation code for lifetime maps that I had already activated on my 550?

Welcome to TTF.

Well, you could install the application for the 540 on your unit but then your map won't work.

If you then try to install the 540 map, it won't work as it's locked to a specific device.

In other words, sorry .........

I'm no expert, but I'm going to guess that what you're suggesting just will not work at all.

If your desire to change is just some particular menu items you wish your 550 had, know there is a menu hack which is described in several threads here that can restore much, but not all, of the full menu functionality:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...ow-get-more-menu-options-models-easymenu.html

We had done it to our 350, and were quite pleased.
In our case, the app update a few months ago restored enough of the functionality we wanted that we removed the hack and are happy enough with the Easy Menu now.

ApK

Last edited:
thanks for your answers. It was just a thought. I was thinking that it might work. I'm satisfied (for now) with what I have.

Tried in XL350 ?

I tried it in my XL350 pasted the tomtom.mnu to my tomtom directory in unit taped on navigation screen all cam up was where to option. What am I doing wrong?

I tried it in my XL350 pasted the tomtom.mnu to my tomtom directory in unit taped on navigation screen all cam up was where to option. What am I doing wrong?
You need to be sure you're copying it to the right directory. It MUST be copied to the folder called "sdkregistry", not the root of your TomTom.

Ask a Question