Converting Tomtom One LE to Rider

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One LE
Hi,

I've been playing around with the kernel and found out how to build a kernel based off version 2332 that works for the one le (the limited edition one that bestbuy had).
Basically I discovered that the bootloader does a check against a string stored in the kernel. This string is in the arch/arm/mach-s3c2410/tomtomgo-iocorkltc.h header file. To allow the new kernel to be used, requiredbootloader must be set to the value shown in the "show version" menu item. so in my case i had to change this to: STRING_SET(requiredbootloader,"5.3026");

Also I found out by adding the following, the menu item for handsfree appears
VALUE_SET(handsfree , 1);
VALUE_SET(headsetgw , 1);
VALUE_SET(a2dp , 1);

And by changing the id I was able to make it think it was a TomTom Rider:
VALUE_SET(id, GOTYPE_BILBAO);
By making it think it was a Rider the menu item for "Connect to headset" appeared.

So after this I am now able to connect to the phone and control using the TomTom One, and also connect to a bluetooth headset.
Currently the voice guidance works and I am able to hear the directions over bluetooth. :D
However it is not yet able to have a voice conversation go through the headset.:mad: I think that there is a SCO connection between the phone and the tomtom and there is a SCO connection between the tomtom and the bluetooth headset, but there is some something missing to pass the audio from one connection to the other.

I think there may be a script or something in the Rider ttsystem that isn't in the One's ttsystem file. so if anyone can help me by pointing me in the direction of where I can find a ttsystem file from a Rider it would be appreciated (google has so far showed nothing of use).

ps
The point of this experiment is to try to get this working so I can use it on the bike. Currently at least I have voice directions working, but it would be nice to have the voice calls working as well.

Sounds pretty good. If you get this working would this be something that can be applied to the xl's?

Hi,

I've been playing around with the kernel and found out how to build a kernel based off version 2332 that works for the one le (the limited edition one that bestbuy had).
Basically I discovered that the bootloader does a check against a string stored in the kernel. This string is in the arch/arm/mach-s3c2410/tomtomgo-iocorkltc.h header file. To allow the new kernel to be used, requiredbootloader must be set to the value shown in the "show version" menu item. so in my case i had to change this to: STRING_SET(requiredbootloader,"5.3026");

VALUE_SET(a2dp , 1);

By making it think it was a Rider the menu item for "Connect to headset" appeared.

So after this I am now able to connect to the phone and control using the TomTom One, and also connect to a bluetooth headset.
Currently the voice guidance works and I am able to hear the directions over bluetooth. :D
However it is not yet able to have a voice conversation go through the headset.:mad: I think that there is a SCO connection between the phone and the tomtom and there is a SCO connection between the tomtom and the bluetooth headset, but there is some something missing to pass the audio from one connection to the other.

I think there may be a script or something in the Rider ttsystem that isn't in the One's ttsystem file. so if anyone can help me by pointing me in the direction of where I can find a ttsystem file from a Rider it would be appreciated (google has so far showed nothing of use).

ps
The point of this experiment is to try to get this working so I can use it on the bike. Currently at least I have voice directions working, but it would be nice to have the voice calls working as well.

Sounds pretty good. If you get this working would this be something that can be applied to the xl's?

Possibly there shouldn't be much difference.

I had a bit more of a play around with it today and have found that the SCO link is only connecting to either the phone or the headset at any one time. I've gotta have a bit more of a look into how bluez handles the SCO. From what I understand it is possible to have two SCO connections to different devices (according to the bluetooth spec), but it may need some hacking to get working.

I gave you rep points, that's some amazing work.

Me on the other hand... I just bought both of them (a One LE and a Rider 2)...

ps

iduno,
If you can pull this off you'll be my hero (for a little while at least). I have pulled the covers off of my ONE XL trying to figure out how to turn the traffic antena jack (worthless in my area) into a head phone jack so I can hear my Tomtom while on the Motorcycle. It turned out that the antena jack was not a standard 1/8" sterio (or mono) type, as there was 4 or 5 leads going to it. So I have just resigned myself to glancing at the display from time to time (which can be hazardious with "cage drivers" trying to kill you at every opertunity). What file are you modifying to make this work? Will I be able to duplicate what you have done without any special software tools?

Great work,
I bumped your rep up a point for your efforts.
Thanks!

Last edited:
iduno,
If you can pull this off you'll be my hero (for a little while at least). I have pulled the covers off of my ONE XL trying to figure out how to turn the traffic antena jack (worthless in my area) into a head phone jack so I can hear my Tomtom while on the Motorcycle. It turned out that the antena jack was not a standard 1/8" sterio (or mono) type, as there was 4 or 5 leads going to it. So I have just resigned myself to glancing at the display from time to time (which can be hazardious with "cage drivers" trying to kill you at every opertunity). What file are you modifying to make this work? Will I be able to duplicate what you have done without any special software tools?

Great work,
I bumped your rep up a point for your efforts.
Thanks!

To get it so that it will give directions over bluetooth. You'll need to get the linux kernel and toolchain from http://www.tomtom.com/page.php?Page=gpl
Get the same version listed in the "Show Version" menu (mine says App 7.162 OS: 2327 so it uses Version 7.1 and the build number 2327).

Follow http://www.opentom.org/Host_linux_target_ARM to install the toolchain. the only thing to do different is only use the following for the PATH instead of the one listed
export PATH=/usr/local/cross/gcc-3.3.4_glibc-2.3.2/bin:$PATH

You will need to edit a file under
<path to kernel>/arch/arm/mach-s3c2410/tomtomgo-io*.h
to find the right tomtomgo-io file do a grep for the unit name ie "TomTom ONE XL". I think the xl uses tomtomgo-iolimerick.h
Then change the values as mentioned before and save.

The kernel can be compiled in the base kernel directory with the command:
./buildkernel.sh config-default

Once build kinda follow the steps listed in:
http://www.opentom.org/Work_Around_TomTom_ONE_V2 but use the following to make the new ttsystem file:
mkttimage tomtomRoot.gz [path to kernel]/arch/arm/boot/zImage > ttsystem

you can get mkttimage from here:http://www.opentom.org/Mkttimage

I would strongly suggest making a backup of your TomTom's files before doing this and copying the data to a new SD card and use that SD card to put the new ttsystem file on.

There will be reduced functionality with the new ttsystem file since it is changing the software to think its a Rider. Also as I mentioned earlier, this will most likely not let you do handsfree calls as yet.

I probably missed something while writing this so there may be some missing steps. If I manage to get it working with handsfree going I will post a better howto

Thanks so much for this hint iduno. I was one of the folks that was having some problems with the itinerary planning on the new Navcore 8 (version 8.010 using kernel 190943 from the Tomtom website) on my One 130. I recompiled a kernel to give it the ID string for a Rider instead, and I've gotten the itinerary option. The fact that the 130 doesn't seem to have bluetooth isn't really phasing it.

Since I have my Linux toolchain up and running now, I'll probably try to do a little bit more playing to see what I can get to work. One thing I discovered that might be of interest to you if you don't already know is that a lot of the BT stuff is controlled from the rc script that's in the cpio archive in the ttsystem image. The kernel merely seems to create files in /proc/barcelona that correspond to all of the VALUE_SET statements, and the userland programs (the rc script, or ttn) merely check those files for existence or values.

Thanks so much for this hint iduno. I was one of the folks that was having some problems with the itinerary planning on the new Navcore 8 (version 8.010 using kernel 190943 from the Tomtom website) on my One 130. I recompiled a kernel to give it the ID string for a Rider instead, and I've gotten the itinerary option. The fact that the 130 doesn't seem to have bluetooth isn't really phasing it.

Since I have my Linux toolchain up and running now, I'll probably try to do a little bit more playing to see what I can get to work. One thing I discovered that might be of interest to you if you don't already know is that a lot of the BT stuff is controlled from the rc script that's in the cpio archive in the ttsystem image. The kernel merely seems to create files in /proc/barcelona that correspond to all of the VALUE_SET statements, and the userland programs (the rc script, or ttn) merely check those files for existence or values.

Head spinning.....

Do you and Iduno do the "Who's on first" Abbott and Costello routine? :confused:;) With all this scripting/folder/value stuff, you've got me confused and I work as a Software Technical Support rep!!!!
I guess I should pay more attention to the programmers, huh?:D

(Oh Yea, more rep points granted...)

Also notice that if you have a unit with a 4:3 aspect ratio screen, it looks like you'll have to change the id variable to something that also has a 4:3 screen. I tried changing mine to make it think it was a 930, and everything functioned, but it looked like the screen didn't refresh correctly. Unfortunately, I don't have something like a One XL to test it on.

Would this hack work for the TT1v3? I would like to get my itinerary planning back, as well as any other functionality this would allow(like TTS). Is there a way to do it without Linux? I don't know Linux.

Thanks for the work, this is cool regardless of whether I ever get it to work.

Would this hack work for the TT1v3? I would like to get my itinerary planning back, as well as any other functionality this would allow(like TTS). Is there a way to do it without Linux? I don't know Linux.

Thanks for the work, this is cool regardless of whether I ever get it to work.

I wouldn't change the value to a rider, since it will only output sound over bluetooth and the TT1V3 doesn't have bluetooth. might be able to change it to another model though.
For compiling under windows your options are are cygwin or andlinux. of the two I would probably recommend andlinux since it can run linux binaries.

HI I am new to this site but find it interesting. I have adapted my rider 2 to give voice out to a jack so I can bypass bluetooth to hear instruction. You have to modify the cradle.

John

For those that are interested, I'm still trying to get the sco passthough to work. havn't had much time to work on it though, so still working out how the bluetooth code all fits together.
just going through http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/future.html and adding the patches to the kernel to see if that does anything for it.
will update when I get something working

Damn, I feel old and stupid, when I read this cool stuff. If you guys figure out how to get BT working for voice directions and handsfree, I will give you all the rep points in the damned universe! :) :)

I have pulled the covers off of my ONE XL trying to figure out how to turn the traffic antena jack (worthless in my area) into a head phone jack so I can hear my Tomtom while on the Motorcycle. It turned out that the antena jack was not a standard 1/8" sterio (or mono) type, as there was 4 or 5 leads going to it. So I have just resigned myself to glancing at the display from time to time (which can be hazardious with "cage drivers" trying to kill you at every opertunity). What file are you modifying to make this work? Will I be able to duplicate what you have done without any special software tools?

Why not just add a switched audio jack? Plug headphones into it & the external speakers stop; unplug the 'phones & the ext speakers work again. Heck, the switching isn't even that important - who cares if the ext speakers are going at the same time as the headphones?

Disclosure: I haven't done this yet, but this is what I plan to do to use my ONE XL on my new-but-not-here-yet motorcycle. The plan is to mount the jack on the top of the unit. It will require drilling a hole in the case.

Why not just add a switched audio jack? Plug headphones into it & the external speakers stop; unplug the 'phones & the ext speakers work again. Heck, the switching isn't even that important - who cares if the ext speakers are going at the same time as the headphones?

Disclosure: I haven't done this yet, but this is what I plan to do to use my ONE XL on my new-but-not-here-yet motorcycle. The plan is to mount the jack on the top of the unit. It will require drilling a hole in the case.

Unfortunatly, there is no room inside the case for a headphone jack. The top of the case is where the antena is located and the circut boards and battery consume all the remaining area inside the case. The only way I thought I could get something other than the traffic antena jack to work would have been to solder wires to the speaker, and pass them out thru the center of the antena jack hole (which would have to be hacked apart). This would allow me to have a "pig tail" headphone jack outside the case which I could then plug my headphones into. I already worry about the road dust that infiltrates this unit which was designed to be used inside the protective environment of a car. So far, so good, but I do expect that some day this will be the the thing that causes the unit to fail (inless I have a big crash before then!). Good luck! If you suceed in your modification be sure to post some pics for the rest of us!

Unfortunatly, there is no room inside the case for a headphone jack. The top of the case is where the antena is located and the circut boards and battery consume all the remaining area inside the case. The only way I thought I could get something other than the traffic antena jack to work would have been to solder wires to the speaker, and pass them out thru the center of the antena jack hole (which would have to be hacked apart). This would allow me to have a "pig tail" headphone jack outside the case which I could then plug my headphones into. I already worry about the road dust that infiltrates this unit which was designed to be used inside the protective environment of a car. So far, so good, but I do expect that some day this will be the the thing that causes the unit to fail (inless I have a big crash before then!). Good luck! If you suceed in your modification be sure to post some pics for the rest of us!

I recently had the back cover off of my ONE XL & thought it looked like there was plenty of room inside for a headphone jack. However, I didn't notice that the antenna took the whole top. That changes things.

Hmmm.... Perhaps, since I will never use the traffic antenna (I get traffic via BT connection to my cell phone), I can just remove that jack & use that hole for the headphone jack. I don't want any dangly bits hanging outside the case....

Whichever way it ends up working, I will definitely post pictures! :)

Oh, re road dust: consider getting one of those "aquaboxes" from RAM.

update

Im not sure of all the technical info. you guys are great at this....

I guess my bottom line, I have a one xl S. I would like to use it on my motorcycle. Am i able to use it like the rider? Are there any "easy" step by step instructions to do this?

thanks

tbell

update

Hi,

VALUE_SET(a2dp , 1);

ps

Hello:

Wow this sounds great. I have a One xl s. I would like to use in on my M/C. Can you tell me if you have done anything further regarding this in relation to hearing the commands via bluetooth. Also, do you have a "GPS for Idiots" step by step version of how you did this. I have updated my navcore and maps, but this seems a little more technical.

Thanks

tbell

Hi, there,

I read this thread with interest as it is the only link I can find from google that comes close to the bizarre problem I have with my original tomtom one!

If I ever drop the unit, eg it falls off the mount and it hits the floor, my tomtom one decides it is now a tomtom rider!!!

Very strange I think you will agree??

I really struggle to revert it back, having to reset the device over and over again until it will eventually play ball.

Maybe someone could shed some light on this? My tomtom one will sit there telling me I need to connect it to a bluetooth headset.

Cheers. :)

Ask a Question