Contact list help.

TomTom Model(s)
Go 700
I've come to realize that i own one of the cell phones that won't synch my contacts with my tom tom 700.
I think i can still make it work though, if i create the file on my tom tom manually, with some of my more commonly used numbers.

Here's what i need from someone though.

1. What is the file called on your tom tom.(this may or may not include your phone name, i have nothing to compare it to)
2. What is the path to this file? The path may also include your phone name. Once again, I don't know.

3. I'll need someone to cut and paste the contents of their contacts file. Really the format is the important part, so I'd suggest changing the #s while retaining the format so the entire internet doesn't call your mom. I'm thinking it is some sort of csv format, judging from some of the other files on my TT.

If i can get that info, I'll post my results. Maybe i can help out someone else who has the same problem I do.

Thanks ahead of time from a newbie.....

You can create one manually. This is for my 910 but it should be similar to your 700. Under my tomtom directory, the file is under X:\contacts and there is a text file called "contacts".

This is the setup in the text file:
"Contact name here","phone number here"
Example:
"John Smith","8005553535"
Save the file and close it and turn on your unit and check it out.

Thanks Pedro. That did the trick.

I was wondering why my recently called \ dialed icons were greyed out too, considering the files were on my tomtom, and had entries. After putting in the contacts.txt, they became available too. So that solved another problem.

Once you've manually added your list, don't try to retrieve them from the phone again, it'll grey out your contacts\dialed\received again. Powercycling your TT will bring 'em back. You won't lose your list.

Only 80 more numbers to add.......Thanks again.

Your welcome. Glad to hear it worked. I also like to edit my contact list or dial list using note pad. It's easier to do :)

You can create one manually. This is for my 910 but it should be similar to your 700. Under my tomtom directory, the file is under X:\contacts and there is a text file called "contacts".

Example:

I read somewhere that phone numbers should be preceded by the > (greater than) sign to be fully recognised by the Tomtom. Could one have multiple numbers such as home and work fixed, mobile etc?

Example:

Will this work with the 920?

yers it will. My 920 is a little different from my last post. here is an example:
"John Smith","8005555445","DEFAULT"

Yes, I think so.....

Under File menu, Import and Export, Export to a file, comma selected (Windows), select the Contacts folder, give a location and file name, map appropriate fields if needed, save as a .csv file.

Open in Excel, clean up data to make it conform to format as shown in Pedro's post, save as a contacts.txt file and copy to the contacts folder on the unit.

Ask a Question