cline.dat error when installing map

Anyone get this error too? Called CS and they said that certain computer system's security systems won't let this file install and they are working on it but not sure if or when it will get fixed. I don't have another computer to try it on and am beyond frustrated at TomTom. I haven't even used the GPS yet..it is brand new. Anyone else have this problem too?

As I was doing this step:
4. Use Winrar and extract the contents of the your_map_name.zip file into the current your_map_name map folder on your unit. If you don't have a folder called your_map_name, then create one using Explorer.

I got this error message from WinRAR:
! C:\Users\Michelle\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map\USA__Canada___Mexico\USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P.zip: Write error in the file cline.dat. Probably the disk is full
! The request could not be performed because of an I\O device error.
! C:\Users\Michelle\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map\USA__Canada___Mexico\USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P.zip: Write error in the file cline.dat. Probably the disk is full
! The request could not be performed because of an I\O device error.

If not rename your download folder to downloadold and try to get the map again. But use a connected computer, not a WIFI.

(I am on a connected computer) Did this also and was able to download the map again but same error message.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
You could try a chkdsk x: \f where x: represents the external drive reprresenting the tt unit in your computer.

You could try a chkdsk x: \f where x: represents the external drive reprresenting the tt unit in your computer.

Thanks for trying to help....It said no problems were found which makes sense since the map can't be successfully downloaded for some reason. I guess my only option now is to find a different computer to use.

Winrar is complaining about the file on your C drive.

run chkdsk c: /f
and also make sure you have at least 4 gigs free on your c drive.

Then try renaming mydocuments\tomtom\home\download to mydocuments\tomtom\home\downloadOLD.

Then close/reopen HOME, and redownload the map.

Winrar is complaining about the file on your C drive.

run chkdsk c: /f
and also make sure you have at least 4 gigs free on your c drive.

Then try renaming mydocuments\tomtom\home\download to mydocuments\tomtom\home\downloadOLD.

Then close/reopen HOME, and redownload the map.

Yep already did all that...won't work.

Perhaps the Tomtom drive is full, and HOME isn't properly warning you.

Try backing up your device per these instructions.

Then format the Tomtom drive with quickformat disabled, then disconnect the Tomtom and turn it on (you should see a red X on the screen.)

Then reconnect the Tomtom, and do "Update my XL", and install applications only repeatedly until no new application is available. Then install the map and see if it installs successfully.

If that works, install your favorite voice and you should be good to go.

Ask a Question