Clean Air & Low Emission Zones.

TomTom Model(s)
Go 50, Via 62 & 6100
Despite having the latest maps installed I'm very disappointed that TomTom have so far got no facility to avoid Clean Air Zones or Low Emission Zones.
When are we likely to see this as a new routing option?
Although being less than 10 years old my car does not meet the criteria to travel in most of these areas so the ability to avoid them is important to me.
On a recent trip both to and from Bristol Airport I was guided through their a Clean Air Zone and incurred a charge of £9 each time, a fee I would have liked to avoid.
So, come on TomTom, get your act together and make this routing option availability ASAP.

Despite having the latest maps installed I'm very disappointed that TomTom have so far got no facility to avoid Clean Air Zones or Low Emission Zones.
When are we likely to see this as a new routing option?
Although being less than 10 years old my car does not meet the criteria to travel in most of these areas so the ability to avoid them is important to me.
On a recent trip both to and from Bristol Airport I was guided through their a Clean Air Zone and incurred a charge of £9 each time, a fee I would have liked to avoid.
So, come on TomTom, get your act together and make this routing option availability ASAP.
Moderator's Note: Moving this thread over to the Nav4 area.

This requires a device that operates on the newer mapping system. TomTom still supports the prior generation of devices (your 50, 62 and 6100) with what are called 'classic' maps that date back a decade or more. There is no facility in that generation of map to add the attributes to the road geometry necessary to manage low emission zones.

The newest models (Discover, Expert, Exclusive, Superior, Camper Max - and the TomTom Android GO app) use the newer 'NDS' mapping system, and within those maps, the addition of attributes for LEZ are possible. Code released just this year makes that particular feature available. The change to NDS maps is what has allowed TomTom to add these newer features and do more frequent, incremental map updates. However, the device firmware for handling these new maps is also VERY different, so older devices are unable to use these newer style maps.

Last edited:
For these newer generation devices, here are some instructions:

Show Low Emission Zones on the map

There is a new toggle that enables the user to configure showing Low Emission Zones on the map, by adding a 'Low Emission Zones' item to Menu/Settings/Map & Display/Show on map.

Note that the LEZ are not shown on the map by default.

0f155768-b414-4f58-a70e-5781f329a071.png

Please enable the toggle for LEZ to enable the feature:

e1b6630b-dc84-477a-809f-f74eb5de6ab2.png

f89f3325-95ad-42f6-9bdc-f25a856d4082.png

Avoid Low Emission Zones on your route

Menu > Settings > Routing > Avoid: enable 'Low Emission Zones'

be751990-85ac-4ade-9e21-4988a894cd4f.png

Route going through LEZ

2e1e12de-f76d-4467-b208-0b2f580f3bcc.png

Route avoiding LEZ

f0a4550a-9473-4d06-b75d-a28f341d36e1.png

How to enable Low Emission Zones warnings

Menu > Settings > Sound/Alerts & Sounds > Low Emission Zone warnings

For these newer generation devices, here are some instructions:

Show Low Emission Zones on the map

There is a new toggle that enables the user to configure showing Low Emission Zones on the map, by adding a 'Low Emission Zones' item to Menu/Settings/Map & Display/Show on map.

Note that the LEZ are not shown on the map by default.

0f155768-b414-4f58-a70e-5781f329a071.png

Don't get that on my Go Discover ... and no updates to apply either.
Must admit that would be very useful.

@elton

My Go Discover did show the Low Emission option after installing the software update in October 22:

Release date: 03/10/22 Version: 22.200.0006

This applies to: GO Discover, GO Camper Max, GO Exclusive
Bug fixes and improvements.
Low Emission Zones are available now for the GO Discover, GO Camper Max, and GO Exclusive.
When entering or leaving a Low Emission Zone, an audio message is played to notify the user.

However after installing this software update on my Go Discover, the ‘Low Emission Zone’ warnings for the "London area" were both flawed and with ‘erratic and incorrect behaviour’ in announcing the start and end of a Zone.

I did report this back to TomTom a few days later in October 22 (it must have been via their online forum which they deleted) and disabled the Low Emission Zone Warnings on the device. I have not received any replies from TomTom………… ;)

Shortly afterwards I sold the Go Discover and replaced it with a Go Exclusive which is also running 22.200.0006 but there is no option for the Low Emission zone warnings and can only assume that TomTom has removed the option from our devices as it was full of flaws re the “London” area?

Maybe TomTom will "soon" issue a software update for our devices with a correctly working version for Low Emission zone warnings, as the Mayor of London is planning to expand the ULEZ zone in August 2023???:cool:
(Legal objections from some London Councils etc. are currently going through the courts, but my take is that it will still go ahead)

Sadly, given Tomtom's past history I agree................ ;) but I live in hope they may offer a 'working update' re Low Emission Zones as they are clearly not going away.

As New York is planning to implement it in the Lower Manhattan area there may be an outcry.
They're worried about wood fired pizza ovens in restaurants now, so no surprise.

Hello, do you think this feature (LEZ) will be available on GO Premium ?
Thanks for all,
Cordially Yours,
Sébastien
I would not expect to see this feature added retroactively to units such as the GO Premium.
Nothing older than a GO Discover, GO Camper Max, or GO Exclusive is ever likely to see this feature.

Don't get that on my Go Discover ... and no updates to apply either.
Must admit that would be very useful.
I have a Go Discover on 22.200.0006 and have the toggle in Sounds for LEZ warnings, BUT there is no Route option for Avoid LEZ and no Show on Map option for LEZ (but has Map scale bar) instead. Would having Premium Services allow routing around LEZ in Bristol, UK?

I don't think there is/was any plan to charge for the LEZ service, @RazorBack
Unclear at this point exactly how they're rolling out this feature. 22.200.0006 seems only to have provided the audio warning so far.
Looks like we're going to have to wait for the overdue 23.100 code to get the routing part.

I use the app on a. iPhone 14 - most disappointed not to see LEZ avoidance on there. Hoping it will be in an update.

Ask a Question