Changing Itinerary - In Route?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Can a destination be added to an itinerary as you are in route? Let me explain what I am looking for. Say that I loaded an itinerary and I'm following the route. Along the way the family gets hungry for Burger King, I look up POI's restaurants and find a BK within 3 miles. Is there a way to add it to the itinerary and have the 720 recalculate the route to include the POI without wiping out the remaining itinerary route, or am I stuck with only displaying them on the map? Is there any 3rd party software that does this?

I think you should be able to add your POI to the existing list of waypoints. You can then just move it up the list into the correct position (changing it to a 'waypoint' if it's shown as a 'destination'). Then make sure that any waypoints you have already passed are marked as 'visited'.

Thanks 46Jimbo, for you information. After reading your comment and rereading the manual, I did find the menu you mentioned to add and move the added POI. I then played with my TT and added a POI to an existing itinerary route, changed the added POI as a destination and ran a demo. Now I have a new question, but I figure that I know the answer. So here goes - the demo of the route stops at the added POI that I placed into my itinerary as a destination and does not proceed or show my final original destination. Is this because you have to actually reach your first destination before the TT shows you the route to the next destination?

Your assumption may be correct about why the demo stopped. Also remember the demo for ANY route has a limit (some say 50 miles, some say 50 kilometers) before it stops and starts again from the beginnig, regardless of the true length of the route.

Thanks for the reply - 50 miles for the demo. Interesting, my first destination ( which is the added POI changed to destination ) is at 32 miles. After that there is no indication of any route on the demo. Guess I'll have to create an itinerary for around town with a couple destinations and some waypoints in between, and see if the TT's display shows the next section before get I get to the destination. Will let you know results!

I'm not sure of this, but I think you can only have one destination in an itinerary. All of the other points must be marked as waypoints. If you place a destination in the middle of the list, I don't think the TomTom will continue thru the rest of the items on the list. This may require some testing to prove or disprove.

Not sure but...

After you added the POI (Burger King for example), did you then change that destination to a 'way point'? I think that's required for the intinerary to continue you to your final destination. You do this just like you do in moving a way point up | down or | mark as visited.

Hope this helps.

OK - here it is. I did a multi destination itinerary and found my answers! So from the begining - I created a 3 destination itinerary with a few waypoints in between for some traveling today. The first thing I noticed is when I loaded the itineray and the TT displays the waypoints and destinations that I had created, there was a red line after each of the destination points and the next waypoint. So the next step is to start the navigation listed under the option button. This displayed the route only to the first destination. OK so far - so I travel the route indicated to me on the TT. When I get to the first destination the TT says I have reached my destination. OK - so I drive another quarter mile and the TT does not say or indicate anything. So I pull over and have a look - I go to "Itinerary Planning" and it shows the route up to the first red line ( my first destination ) grayed out. I go to options and press the "start navigation" button and low and behold it loads the next segment of my route to the next destination. And there you have it, TT creates segments in the Itinerary for each Destination. You have to tell TT to continue by using the start navigation button in the itinerary's option section. For a bit more info I'm using app 7.481 and na 715.17712. Hope this helps others.

OK - here it is. I did a multi destination itinerary and found my answers! So from the begining - I created a 3 destination itinerary with a few waypoints in between for some traveling today. The first thing I noticed is when I loaded the itineray and the TT displays the waypoints and destinations that I had created, there was a red line after each of the destination points and the next waypoint. So the next step is to start the navigation listed under the option button. This displayed the route only to the first destination. OK so far - so I travel the route indicated to me on the TT. When I get to the first destination the TT says I have reached my destination. OK - so I drive another quarter mile and the TT does not say or indicate anything. So I pull over and have a look - I go to "Itinerary Planning" and it shows the route up to the first red line ( my first destination ) grayed out. I go to options and press the "start navigation" button and low and behold it loads the next segment of my route to the next destination. And there you have it, TT creates segments in the Itinerary for each Destination. You have to tell TT to continue by using the start navigation button in the itinerary's option section. For a bit more info I'm using app 7.481 and na 715.17712. Hope this helps others.

When you create an itinerary, all stops are listed as 'destinations' showing the checkered flag icon next to all the stops or waypoints. If you want to create one continuous route without restarting, as I stated above, you need to change one (or more) of those destination(s) to 'waypoints'. That way TT won't stop and have to be started again. To do this, view your itinerary and tap the first destination, then 'Mark as waypoint'

** Here's the step by step process **

• Tap screen
  • Tap 'itinerary planning'
  • ...you should see your last itinerary listed
  • Tap the first destination listed (Burger King)
  • Tap 'mark as waypoint'
  • Tap 'done'
** Three screen shots trying to show the process. **

Here's an image of an itinerary I created to LWHS with a stop at Burger King.
Notice that both are marked as 'destinations' with the red checkered flag.

Two_Dest.jpg

After tapping the first stop above (Burger King), I'll see this next screen.
I tap 'mark as waypoint' (see below).

Mark_waypt.jpg

Now I see the finished product with Burger King as waypoint...
not a destination.

Finish_itin.jpg

If you click 'done' TT should show you the complete route without stopping.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks Rick F. Yes you are right, for a continuous route all set points have to be waypoints and a destination at the end. But if you want to have multiple destinations, then you will have to restart the navigation to get the TT to load the next section to the next destination. Using multi destinations, TT tells you information such as distance and when you have arrived at your "next" destination (but does not tell you information on waypoints because they are only points that are passes through) this way you know that you are at the end of you route section (with a waypoint you would not be told that you have arrived). Below is an itinerary dump of a multi destination route with waypoints between them. You can see the red line after the destinations, indicating the route sectioning that the TT is doing. I use TYRE to create my itinerary routes because it allows ease of changing points to waypoints and destinations.

Attachments

• dump1925549229b.bmp
    16.1 KB · Views: 375
Hey Rick (or anyone) - I just looked at my last post and see that my attached picture is a "click on attachment". How do you attach a picture, so that it comes out as an attached seen picture in the post?

Hi Tophat,

I hosted those pics on another site (photobucket) and then linked to them. Photobucket is free but there are several others that are also free.

Hope this helps.

Ask a Question