Car preferences - icon grayed out

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920T
Under the change preferences menu I have an icon called "Car preferences" and it is grayed out. I'm guessing that this is meant for motorcycles and trucks? Perhaps it calculates routes based on specific criteria related to those vehicles?

How do I make this button active?

Under the change preferences menu I have an icon called "Car preferences" and it is grayed out. I'm guessing that this is meant for motorcycles and trucks? Perhaps it calculates routes based on specific criteria related to those vehicles?

How do I make this button active?

You can't.

The feeling is that was put there for a time when the unit would be built into some car consoles and somehow have settings for when car headlights come on .... or something like that :eek:

I did read on a website last week that the Car Preferences icon was put there when Tomtom were developing a car unit that would be hardwired into the wiring of the car, and change the day/night colours accordingly for when you had the headlights on and off. I haven't seen anything about it since.

I did find that the on my TT920, the Change car symbol option is not grayed out and can be changed to an icon other than the default blue arrow only when I've choosen the 3D display.

I did find that the on my TT920, the Change car symbol option is not grayed out and can be changed to an icon other than the default blue arrow only when I've choosen the 3D display.

That's a different symbol than being referred to in this thread.

It's confusing, I know .....

Last edited:
Only when connected to Tomtom home

I have found the vehicle selection only works when my 920 is attached to my computer and Tomtom Home. Otherwise the selection icon is grayed out.

I have found the vehicle selection only works when my 920 is attached to my computer and Tomtom Home. Otherwise the selection icon is grayed out.

Are you sure the reason wasn't because the changed car symbol does NOT take effect when the setting is for 2d view, will only show when the view is set for 3d.

Preferences page 6 of 8 show disabled Car preference on top right side of the page if you have "SHOW ALL Menu option" selected which give you a total of 8 of 8 Preferences pages (instead of 3 of 3 preference pages).....

Preferences page 6 of 8 show disabled Car preference on top right side of the page if you have "SHOW ALL Menu option" selected which give you a total of 8 of 8 Preferences pages (instead of 3 of 3 preference pages).....

Correct. 'Change Car Symbol' and 'Change Car Preferences' are two separate icons. One (former) works, the latter is greyed out on all models.

Stupid question...when I got the "FIRST" TomTom 720 for Christmas, I was able to use the FM transmitter for over the radio navigational directions. The first one fowled up and I took it back and got another but this one won't let me use the FM transmitter. Any idea why the other one would allow this but this one won't?

Have there been any indications that we might be able to regain this functionality? I had called them about the FM transmitter and they said that they are working on a software fix for this but no estimated time. I also spoke to them (tech support) about the fact that my 720 'studders' on larger names and they said it was a known issue also with a fix in the upcoming week but still no fix.

These issues have been known for months now......

I can't confirm this but I understand that TomTom Support people all start their workday by gathering in a circle and shouting out in unison 20 times "Real Soon Now....Real Soon Now!" :( :confused: :mad:

Ask a Question