Can you install a poi from TT home?

TomTom Model(s)
TT910/TT920t
Can you install POI's that you have downloaded from this site for instance and have it put on my TT through TT Home? Or do u have to always go through The north american folder, or whereever u live?

Foxbreakr

Don't think so.

anyway, the POI's are very easy to install. just unzip them and using a file manager drag and drop the unzipped file into the map folder on the tomtom.

Can you install POI's that you have downloaded from this site for instance and have it put on my TT through TT Home? Or do u have to always go through The north american folder, or whereever u live?

Foxbreakr

I'm sure there is a way to put downloaded *.ov2 and *.bmp files for POIs into a directory on your PC for TT HOME to recognize and install.

However, it is much easier to just download these files and copy them directly into the map folder of your TomTom.

My detailed instructions below - step #9:
>>> Custom POIs <<<

I do know how to install them, i just think it would be nice if you could do it off of tt home to make it recognizable with the downlaods we get off of tt.com(i.e. retail stores, baskin robbins etc.) Better way to manage them as well. I know we are allowed a certain amount of poi's per unit. 149 or something like that. Does having an extra memory card in my tt920 mean i can have more pois that will show up or is that pretty much for music and pics?

I do know how to install them, i just think it would be nice if you could do it off of tt home to make it recognizable with the downlaods we get off of tt.com(i.e. retail stores, baskin robbins etc.) Better way to manage them as well. I know we are allowed a certain amount of poi's per unit. 149 or something like that. Does having an extra memory card in my tt920 mean i can have more pois that will show up or is that pretty much for music and pics?

Well, you could copy the *.ov2, *.bmp, and *.ogg (if you have one) files to the C:\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\map\USACanada directory INTO the USA_and_Canada.zip file and then use the following steps from TT HOME to load them to your device:
1) Click on ADD MAPS, TRAFFIC, VOICES, ETC
2) Click on MORE
3) Click on ITEMS ON MY COMPUTER

If you've previously downloaded map updates, you should see a listing of your maps that are physically stored in the C:\y Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\map\USACanada folder. If you install from there, I would think that everything (including the new POI files you copied above) should copy over to the device.

As far as the limit on the POIs, I would suspect it isn't a storage size issue but how they wrote their operating system code...they will only allow you to use a certain number.... This very well could be because of performance reasons because if you had 200 POIs and turned on the viewing for all of them at the same time, you could see a performance lag in your device. I feel, however, that is a weak argument because if you just turn on all of the built-in POIs, you'll see this lag.

One thing I wonder, however, is if you LINK a custom POI into a built-in POI if this is a way around this limit. I have instructions for linking below:
>>> Linking Custom POI to Built-In POI <<

The reason I believe this may work is that when you get POI mapshare updates, you'll see a file that looks like the following appear on your device:
PA9361.ov2 or CA9927.ov2

I'm not sure what the PA and CA stand for, but the 4-digit number corresponds to the POI code used by TomTom as in my list on that link I just gave you above. They are somehow tying those into the built-in POIs. Since they don't use a *.inf file as I describe in my write-up, my theory is questionable.

Ask a Question