Can I use a GO 740 Live without the live services?

How crippled will the 740 be without LIVE services active? No weather, no live traffic and no google searches, still the unit has plenty of POI stored! Are there any other disatvantages for no LIVE services?

Thanks in advance....

You can use the 740 without Live services but if you do, you've probably wasted your money since other models (like the 730) offer the same functionality remaining for less money.

Regarding the subscription, TomTom is one of the very few I've ever seen that a monthly subscription is the same, or in TomTom's case ever so slightly less, than a yearly commitment. Monthly $9.95, or yearly $119.95, which turns out to be a teeny bit more than the equivalent monthly charge. Since there is no benefit to a yearly subscription, and a potential downside if you decide after a few months that the service isn't for you, I recommend a month to month renewal if you decide to sign up after your free trial.

Last edited:
still the unit has plenty of POI stored

The 740 has a limited Tomtom POI file (mostly food and gas stations). Without google POI to fill in the gaps, you may want to try a 930 or 340 that have the full Tomtom POI file.

Ask a Question