Buying Maps

I want to know if the Maps of Canada and USA v 8.152022 that sells for $80 USD is more detailed than the updated maps I get from TomTom Home. Are they better and more detailed, is it worth the $??? Thanks for any help, and I love my new TomTom the way it is I just like to have my stuff with all the best operating system. It's a ONE XL if thats important at all. Thanks again.

The only legitimate way to get maps for your unit is through TTHome. Are you asking whether your map with mapshare updates is = detail of the 8.15 map that can be purchased?

If so, it's always hard to tell whether an upgraded map will reflect corrections/additions & changes for the area you are interested in.

If you post a location here that your level map has wrong, perhaps someone with an 8.15 map will let you know if the condition still prevails at the 8.15 level.

Thanks for your reply.

Well this is quite interesting. I had version 7.XXX?, and because it's a used one I went to restore factory settings. I connected it to my computer and updated, it now has version 8.010 installed as my maps. Very nice as I understand 8.15 doesn't offer a whole lot more for the simple use I intend to use it for. Either way, even with the old version it worked very nicely. I am however interested to know if I am correct in this, and if there are any suggestions that can be made to maximize it's potential.

I am looking again, and just to clarify, I don't have an SD card and am running the internal maps v710.1575. The screen that shows the battery level, satellites and coordinates also has a box that shows version 8.010. v8.15 available through TomTom for $80 USD requires a space of almost 150MB so I believe I may be running an inferior map. OK I just want a good map help me!! Do I already have it????

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.

Well this is quite interesting. I had version 7.XXX?, and because it's a used one I went to restore factory settings. I connected it to my computer and updated, it now has version 8.010 installed as my maps. Very nice as I understand 8.15 doesn't offer a whole lot more for the simple use I intend to use it for. Either way, even with the old version it worked very nicely. I am however interested to know if I am correct in this, and if there are any suggestions that can be made to maximize it's potential.

I am looking again, and just to clarify, I don't have an SD card and am running the internal maps v710.1575. The screen that shows the battery level, satellites and coordinates also has a box that shows version 8.010. v8.15 available through TomTom for $80 USD requires a space of almost 150MB so I believe I may be running an inferior map. OK I just want a good map help me!! Do I already have it????

The 8.010 your reading is the " Navcore version " not the map version.

Navcore is the units operating application.

To get the full use of the new 8.15 maps....you really need to be using the Navcore 8.30.

Is your device even being offered the 8.30 Navcore ?....If not, you may only be able to use a map version of 8.10.

If the unit is already on 8.001 navcore, it should accept 8.3 (which should come up through update device on Home).

710 maps are a bit old (going on 1 year), as there have been 720 and 810 since then (I think 725 was only for original units at the time).

If you are not having any issues with the 710 maps - I would wait until later versions and/or a map sale happens.

Ask a Question