Buit in POI's and Map Way Off

OK, so I got my Tomtom yesterday and I expected many of the built in POI's and map data to be off, but not quite like this. I live in a smal town of about 15,000 and I looked at about 25 POI's in my town and I think I only found one that was anywhere near it's actual location. Even my home adress was off by about a mile. I am just wondering if this is normal. Thanks in advance for any help. By the way my map and everything has been updated to the latest versions.

John

First off, which unit and map do you have?

When I had 7xx maps the POI's and addresses were off miles in some places. It had to do with the way TT calculated the addresses. Since I've gotten the 8.25 maps the addresses are much closer to the actual locations. Since you've just gotten your TT, and if it's a new unit, you should have the latest map garantee. Call support and ask them for it. You'll have to fax or email them a copy of your reciept then you can download the new map.

If I'm right we're due for a new map in May so if you can live with what you have for a little less than 30 days you might get a newer one than the 8.25. Be sure to keep up with the date if you decide to wait because you certainly don't want the offer to expire on you without using it.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. Everything was updated yesterday including maps to 8.25. I also am using the XL-S. Thanks again.

check maps.google.com in satellite view and show streets - they use the same maps as the tomtom. if the streets drawn on google are off from the satellite view, then the problem lies with the teleatlas map vendor, not the tomtom. If google is wrong , you'll just have to keep reporting it to mapshare and hoping teleatlas notices. Turning on "submit anonymous data" will help as it will alert tomtom to the offroad driving.

You can also try maps.yahoo.com which uses navteq, the other vendor. If yahoo has good streets in that neighborhood, then you may want to return the tomtom and buy a navteq device like a garmin.

There's a reason TomTom is cheaper than Garmin. You just found out one of them.

;)

Decisions........decisions..........as a moderator, do I just delete stupid comments or let them stay?? :confused:

Decisions.....decisions...............

Wow I didn't realize this had received so much attention the last few days. I actually ended up checking google maps on my own and found out that it is a teleatlas issue. I reported it to them.

I also honestly can deal with map/poi errors in my hometown. It is a small town that I have lived in for over ten years. If I don't know my way around it a GPS is not going to help. I was just testing the device out and a little baffled. I am glad I know the issue now.

I went to a larger town last night and I was pretty happy with the results. Most POI's were on the money and the directions were pretty spot on. I followed the devices directions a few times in areas that I have driven a million times. They gave me different directions so I tried them and every time it was faster than the way I have always gone.

I did experience a few POI's way off, but I assume that is just the life of a GPS. Two in the same area were actually off by 7 miles.

Anyway thanks for all of the help. It has been greatly appreciated.

crashbowman,

You should turn on the "submit anonymous data" option when prompted. This will report to teleatlas whenever you drive off a road in their map, and they will be notified to fix the map issue.

They prioritize fixes based on the number of devices driving offroad, so urban issues will be fixed before rural ones. But it can't hurt to try.

Ask a Question