Bluetooth phone primer please?

TomTom Model(s)
GO910
Hoping somone can explain all this phone incompatiblity to me. I understand bluetooth is basically just a protocol and means nothing in terms of the data transmitted. So TT has to write some code to understand what phones are transmitting, right? Since only certain phones from a specifc manufacturer work, this mean for instance that motorola is transmitting differently in different models? Otherwise why wouldn't all moto models work, for instance.

Is the code to interpret this info so involved or inaccesible that hacks are not being written to get every phone to work?

It does not seem that TT has made any effort to update this compatibility for older TTs either. I have a 910 and the only compatible phone that AT&T is offering nowadays is the RAZR. None of the nokia's or sony ericsson's on the compatible list are offered by ATT in my area.

I will try and explain the situation as I understand it. The Bluetooth specification is protocol specifying the link, the way in which the devices can connect to each other. Each device also has a Bluetooth 'profile' which specifies what services that device will make available and how they should be accessed. An analogy...

Imagine a phone call, connecting Bob and Jill (who have never met and know nothing about each other). Bob wants to understand who Jill is and what service she provides ("Is that the library?", or "Is this the Chinese takeaway?" "Do you deliver?"). For her part Jill will try to answer Bob's questions ("No, this is a pizza parlour" and "No, we can't deliver"). Fortunately, they are both speaking English (Bluetooth) so they can at least understand each other.

This is how Bluetooth devices interact. They try to get along by asking each other questions and replying to those questions. Bob wants to have a Chinese meal delivered, but Jill only provides pizza and can't deliver! Bob doesn't get what he wants.

In you case, your TomTom wants hand-free access, the phonebook, SMS capabilities, etc. But the phone is responding that it is only allowed to offer hands-free. You can only get hands-free. The feature set is decided by the phone manufacturer, not TomTom.

I have had no problem connecting Windows via bluetooth to any phone and there is the tab that says check for services or something, so that all makes sense. But bluetooth on phones are generally made for a handsfree earpiece, so is the connection to TT not actually a handsfree type connection? The RAZR V3xx is supposed to work on the 920 but it is not listed for the 910, which makes me think there is something TT has to or can do to make it work.

I have connected several phones via blietooth to Windows and there is a item for check for services or something, so that does make sense. But bluetooth on phones is generally made for handsfree, is the connection to the TT not a handsfree type? Further, I see that the RAZR V3xx works on the 920, but is not listed for the 910 (TT has written me if it ain't on the list it won't work), so that makes me think TT has somethign to do with it not just the phone.

I am frustrated that all the phones for the 910 seem to be older models and there doesn;t seem to be updates. Did that wreck of an update 7.0 add any phones (I reverted to my old OS)? The only compatible phone I can find from ATT in my area is the RAZR V3 and so I can't get a new phone with any upgrades if I still want to use it with my TT. Am I missing something here?

Not only is it set by the phone manufacturer, but by the carrier also. Verizon has been known to disable functions built into phones by the manufacturer. Also, that list of what phones are compatible is useless. My last 2 phones weren't listed and worked like a charm

Question

What 2 phones did you have that worked like a charm? And what service provider did you use?

Not only is it set by the phone manufacturer, but by the carrier also. Verizon has been known to disable functions built into phones by the manufacturer. Also, that list of what phones are compatible is useless. My last 2 phones weren't listed and worked like a charm

moto

Does anyone know if the RAZR V3xx willwork with the 910?

The V3 works, and the list for the 920 has V3xx on it. So how is it that it works ont he 920 but not the 910? That tells me that either TT is not listing it all or there is some code controlling some part of it.

I would really like to get an updated phone.

Trial and error method.

T-Mobile's Samsung Blast (aka model SGH-T729) is a fairly fully featured phone that supports all of the functions of the TT Go 730. Samsung's model SGH-T819 also works.

I have been using the trial and error method. Took my TT to Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile and the results were that none of Verizon's phoned paired, a couple of AT&T's did, but T-Mobile's seemed to be the only ones that I could find that supported all of the TT Go 730's features. I am abandoning Verizon, even though I have a fairly recent LG Voyager, which would only pair for the hands free feature.

Since my car is not equipped with integrated Bluetooth, having a hands free device that provides navigation, media and phone book support was a priority. Love the TT Go 730,so ultimately it will be worth the switch.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the RAZR V3xx willwork with the 910?

The V3 works, and the list for the 920 has V3xx on it. So how is it that it works ont he 920 but not the 910? That tells me that either TT is not listing it all or there is some code controlling some part of it.

I would really like to get an updated phone.
I understand that if a single feature like phonebook or data does not work the phone will not get on the TT list. This will avoid countless hours of wasted Support time.
As per loveisageless in post # 8 take your 910 to a store and see if it pairs.
My Samsung SCH-u510 is not listed but works well hands free and phone book. I don't know about data as I instructed my mobile provider to disallow data transfer to/from my account. I got fed up with paying for getting adverts.

I just paired my 910 with a new Motorola W376G Tracfone, so now what happens? Is there any practical use for it? I need a bluetooth for dummies book

Ask a Question