Bitmap Requirements for All Graphics

I'm trying to make my own graphics for POI icons and spash screens.

What are the requirements for creating BMP's that the various devices require in order to display these graphics?

Are the pixel dimensions the only requirement or is there a required bit depth?

From what I've gathered through the forum, there is no bit depth, but the pixel dimensions for the 720 are

POI Icon - 24x24
Splash - 480x272

I've tried creating images matching these dimensions, but can't get them to work. I'm trying to figure out why...

Thx!

I'm trying to make my own graphics for POI icons and spash screens.

What are the requirements for creating BMP's that the various devices require in order to display these graphics?

Are the pixel dimensions the only requirement or is there a required bit depth?

From what I've gathered through the forum, there is no bit depth, but the pixel dimensions for the 720 are

POI Icon - 24x24
Splash - 480x272

I've tried creating images matching these dimensions, but can't get them to work. I'm trying to figure out why...

Thx!

I believe I read somewhere that not only is the pixel size important but that custom created icons should be 16 bit, not 8.

I found the following quote when going through this myself a while back....using photoshop I followed these instructions and all the ones which would not show were fixed. The ones I had problems with were all downloaded with various POI files.

"Along with 22x22 pixels in size and named the same as the ov2 file, they absolutely must be 8-bit. I have been creating my own from different images and even though PhotoShop says the image is 8-bit, it will only save as 16-bit bmp until you change the image 'mode' to "Indexed Color" and set it to "Windows System" which then lets you save as an 8-bit bmp file."

not sure how other photo programs handle things. I found though that the size was not absolutely critical, but the 8-bit stuff was.

Last edited:

Ask a Question