Battery doesn't charge

TomTom Model(s)
One XLS
A friend of mine gave me his Go930 because it wouldn't start.
Looking in this forum, I saw the issue with the battery so I bought a new battery. Followed the instruction (perfect by the way :thumb:) and it worked fine foir 10 minutes,
The device would not start anymore.
Open the device again, no issue with the battery install so I checked the voltage of the battery and it was 3.11V
I let the device charged up with the USB dock for 3 hours and the battery voltage was 3.09V which mean the nothing is getting to the battery to be charged.
Any idea on how to fix this ?
Thanks
Benoit

I let the device charged up with the USB dock for 3 hours and the battery voltage was 3.09V
No, that's not good. Does the light on the 930 (lower right corner) illuminate when you connect it to the USB dock? And did your friend also provide you with the car charger?

The light is on.
I need to try on the car charger but I have little hope.

Is there a way to bypass the battery. Meaning the TT requires a battery to run but what if there is direct power to the device. It will only run on power but better than nothing.
Does somebody knows where the 5V is converted to 3.7V on the motherboard ?

Last edited:
The light is on.
I need to try on the car charger but I have little hope.
Still, it's worth a try. We all know where it's headed if it's not the input :eek:

Is there a way to bypass the battery. Meaning the TT requires a battery to run but what if there is direct power to the device. It will only run on power but better than nothing.
Does somebody knows where the 5V is converted to 3.7V on the motherboard ?
I've never traced out the board on a 930 to see where the conversion takes place. As you discovered when replacing the battery, the device is not difficult to open, and there's some chance you might spot a bad component. While it's all tiny SMT, a converter that can handle that power should be big enough to spot the markings to identify it, too. I'll see what I can see on a 730.

Is THIS any help?

It was for the x00 series models, but the ICs in question may be the same.

Yes but ;-( because it seems to be impossible to replace.
Trying to see if I can find a broken 930 around so I can replace the board

Thanks guys for your help
Can always count on the tomtom community

Benoit

Ask a Question