Automatic restart after shutdown

I have a GO930 with 8.010 and have had similar problems. Sometimes it will turn off and stay off and other times I have to turn it off two or three times.

I have a GO920 with Software v8.010 .. same problems. Also tried every form of resetting ... clear flash utility ... "disconnecting device" in TomTom Home ... etc.

Still .. unit keeps turning itself back on. Sometimes it turns on at random times as well - as in - half an hour after I've turned it off once I'm home. Then it starts giving off weird sounds due to low battery (which is when I realize it's turned itself on of course).

It's been having these "unassisted power up's" from day one though. I've grown accustomed to it I suppose.

Still, I'm hoping a new firmware will fix this issue (ie: newer than v8.010).

Try this. This may not be exactly your problem, but I know the following will stop a tomtom from repeatedly booting itself. Mine would complete the boot process and then start over again. not sure if yours is doing exactly that. anyway...try this........

using wordpad create a blank text file and save it as poweroff.txt (save as .txt document). Then using a file manager rename it to poweroff (remove the .txt suffix)

save this and place in the root of your tomtom. it will stop the repeating poweron/poweroff issues.

Unfortunately, I tried all three of these solutions and none of them worked (Clear flash, reinstall app, txt file.) I ended up doing a full backup from when I first backed up the unit.

I used it a couple of times today and encountered it still self booting still. Wouldn't bother me that much except this kind of makes it a drag to simply turn the unit off - you know? Any other ideas?

It must have to do with the unit not turning OFF rather than it turning on. I mean, it shouldn't be able to turn itself ON .. right? I would say it's not turning off but, instead, it's somehow rebooting by accident.

All I can hope for is that it's some kind of firmware issue. How often is new firmware released anyway? I'm a new user so I have no clue.

And by the way, I have a tech-support ticket open with TomTom about this and they've suggested the same things (Clear flash and reinstall app that is).

My 920 was fine with 7.481, but as soon as I upgraded to 8.010 it started turning itself back on 9 times out of 10. I restored my backup of 7.481 and it hasn't done it a single time since. Is this a known issue with 8.010?

Last edited:
My 920 was fine with 7.481, but as soon as I upgraded to 8.010 it started turning itself back on 9 times out of 10. I restored my backup of 7.481 and it hasn't done it a single time since. Is this a known issue with 8.010?

Yes, a known problem.

If your using the new version 8 maps....you need a version of navcore in the the version 8 series to get the full benefits of the new maps ALG.

In this case you may want to try the navcore 8.002.

Take a look at this thread for some infomation and a link the navcore 8.002.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=11740

As always back up your device before making changes.

PSJ aka Marc

My new 920 just had a power on after shutting down episode. In this instance, a pin reset has stopped it so far.

I have app 8.01 and 810 maps. this seems to be happening with all apps back to 7.221, so, it is the units.

I am starting to miss my 910, as I believe TomTom brought the x20 and x30 units out after sacrificing quality for costs compared to the original models.

In addition to going with a much lower capacity battery and eliminating some nice features from the 910 to the 920/930, it looks like the basic unit is now very buggy.

I found my problem (730)

Looks like I have found the problem with random starts on my 730 -- it was soldering flux residue on a PCB near power on/off button (power converter area).
This "dust" in humid climate (I live in WA) becomes wet and conductive -- apparently enough to trigger power-on circuitry.
Here are pictures of the board before cleaning with wet cotton swab and then with alcohol prep pad.
I have found disassembly steps somewhere on the Web -- there is not much to it for a DIY electronics guy. Your mileage will wary.

WARNING. Before cleaning -- disconnect battery if you care about your TomTom and your health, 'cause electronics burn and Li-Ion batteries blow. You know it, right?

Make sure you do not have cotton threads left on the board after cleaning -- they attract water and can became conductive themselves.

Hope it helps.
Vadym

Attachments

• flux_residue.JPG
    flux_residue.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 288
  • clean.JPG
    clean.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 347

Ask a Question