Automatic restart after shutdown

Hi,

When I switch off my tomtom 920T, most of the times, it restarts automatically after about 20 seconds and I have to switch it off a second time (sometimes even a third and fourth time for it to stay off). When it automatically switches on again, it shows the screen like it is updating after I disconnected it from the PC (it shows the little harddrive). I am running firmware version 7.221. I also tried a reset several times, but that didn't resolve the problem.

Anybody got any ideas what is wrong and how I can resolve this?

Thanks.

Hi,

When I switch off my tomtom 920T, most of the times, it restarts automatically after about 20 seconds and I have to switch it off a second time (sometimes even a third and fourth time for it to stay off). When it automatically switches on again, it shows the screen like it is updating after I disconnected it from the PC (it shows the little harddrive). I am running firmware version 7.221. I also tried a reset several times, but that didn't resolve the problem.

Thanks.

When you are removing it from the computer, are you doing so properly? In other words, using TTHome to Disconnect Device? If not, you should be.

Also, try resetting (again) with a paperclip for about 15 seconds and while still resetting, hold down the power on button.

When you are removing it from the computer, are you doing so properly? In other words, using TTHome to Disconnect Device? If not, you should be.

Also, try resetting (again) with a paperclip for about 15 seconds and while still resetting, hold down the power on button.

Hi dhn,

I'm a user from germany and I worked on this problem the last 4 weeks. I tried everything to solve the unwanted booting problem but nothing helped so far. Even TomTomService in Germany was involved but they couldn't find anything.

But your suggestion to reset the Device is new to me. Could you please explain a bit more. I reset the Go with a paperclip and - while doing this (?) - I press the power button?

My last hope is a new firmware version,that is expexted in a few days.

Thanks for your help

irving9901

Well, Irving was just a few minutes quicker - I am also from Germany and I also see the same and despite several discussions in the German forum I have no clue how to solve it. I will try to follow all threads dealing with this subject and let you know if there's something new. I think at my TomTom 920 it started with v7.221.

Regards
Swamp.

Last edited:

I was hopeful that this should do the trick, because I did not do this. However, sadly, it stil restarted after disconnecting it properly from my computer.

Hope that a new firmware update will cover this issue.

Well, Irving was just a few minutes quicker - I am also from Germany and I also see the same and despite several discussions in the German forum I have no clue how to solve it. I will try to follow all threads dealing with this subject and let you know if there's something new. I think at my TomTom 920 it startet with v7.221.

Regards
Swamp.

Thanks a lot Swamp. Although I am from Belgium, my German is not that good. However, can you anyway post the link to the topic in this German forum, so I can try to follow.

thanks.

Last edited:
Link to German "reboot" thread

This is the thread on the German forum website dealing with the reboot problem (many ideas, no solution yet): Link

The good news I see from Irving's post is that there will a new firmware coming up. Let's hope that this will solve some of the current problems.

Thanks a lot Swamp. Although I am from Belgium, my German is not that good. However, can you anyway post the link to the topic in this German forum, so I can try to follow.

thanks.

Hi kojtl,

here is what I found so far:

http://www.meintomtom.de/forum/index.php?showtopic=18935

Let me know when you don't understand a point.

What I tried so far:

• all kinds of reset

• delete all files on the root and reinstall the application from tt-home

• use 2 different pc (vista / xp) with tt-home in order to manage item 2

• from the menue: set back the device / delete the custom settings (don't know the english words)

• tried to delete the active route and / or the connection to tomtom-traffic, bevor switching off the device

• tried to save the map-folder on CF

My big hope is a new firmware.

Regards

irving9901

My TomTom just started doing that this morning. I'm using one of the ProClips (really nice by the way, highly recommend) with the power switching off when I turn the key off. When it would try to shut off after losing power, it would show the "Remove from vehicle" screen for quite a bit longer than I'm used to, then restart like I had connected to my computer. I have always used the "Disconnect Device" from TomTom HOME.

I tried manually turning it off with the power button and got the same thing. The only time I got it to stay off was when I turned it off before tapping the "I agree" button that comes up only after connecting to the computer. I didn't try turning it off several times in a row.

Then, when I was driving, I was playing MP3's through the line out. Upon getting to my destination, the whole device locked up for ~30 seconds and rebooted. Again, I had to turn it off from the "I agree" screen.

If anyone has any more details on this particular issue, I would appreciate it.

I've had a similar issue with the TT rebooting after shutting it off, but I started disconnecting the power cable before shutting it off. This seems to work for me.

Hi,

Thanks.

Go to www.tomtom.com/6221 and run the Clear Flash Tool to flash the ram in the TT.:)

Just upgraded my GO920 to 7.480 firmware and so far the power back on feature after you shutdown the unit seems to be gone. I am now able to turn on the "automatic shutdown" when the external power is removed, nice :) Also the system seems to boot up and shutdown a little bit faster than 7.221 version :cool: Love it so far........

Just upgraded my GO920 to 7.480 firmware and so far the power back on feature after you shutdown the unit seems to be gone. I am now able to turn on the "automatic shutdown" when the external power is removed, nice :) Also the system seems to boot up and shutdown a little bit faster than 7.221 version :cool: Love it so far........

Same for me.... So far, so good.... I hope it stays like this.

Hello from Holland...

Updating to 7.480 made it work as it should, having tried everything* to keep it off. No other problems that I know of (so far) with the latest OS update, though not sure if the safety camera warnings are still working. Voice recognition is OK and the unit seems to boot and exit quicker.

* Reset, long resets, Factory reset, "clear flash"routine installed, double turn offs during shut-down, etc. Just couldn't keep the little bugger down. :)

Rider2 has it too

I have a TT Rider2 with firmware 7.540 and I have the same issue. On shutdown I get the green shutdown screen, then black for 3 seconds, then the bootup screen. Like a yoyo it comes right back up again after shutting down. We get stuck in loops of three or four reboots trying to see who is more stubborn, me or the TT.

I have the latest greatest firmware BTW.

I've had success so far with the paperclip and a quick reset. I'll just plan on having a paperclip handy until a new firware comes out.

:mad:

Ask a Question