auto re routing for 3rd edition

I am new to this site, and was hoping you can help me out.

A day or two after purchasing device, on two separate trips, the following happened.

1. I inputted the directions from point A to point B, a 60 mile trip.
2. on the way to point B I initially drove a different way then directed by the GPS to a given highway that would take me to point B. I assumed it would recalculate a new route to point B given where I was.
3. After taking the different way, the device directed me to turn around and go the original route, i.e., it would not self correct from the point I was on to calculate a new route. The calculation program was functioning as demonstrated by visual information displayed on the device, but after the calculation was made it wanted me to go backwards on the highway to return to the original route. This calculation occurred every exit off the highway until I got to the exit that was a mile to point B.
4. On one of the trips, the problem was fixed when I deleted the original trip. I entered a new trip from point A to point B where point A was where I was in real time on the highway. This time it give me the corrected route.
5. I have had other GPS devices in the past that were able to automatically recalculate a new route without any problem each time I diverted from the original route.

Here are my questions:
1. is it supposed to recalculate a new route based on where I am automatically, or am I supposed to delete the original route, and reenter a new route from where I am (while driving)?
2. is the tomtom third edition the same as the other tomtom one?s regarding this issue?

thanks for your help.
Dave

Hello Dave and welcome.

1. Yes, it suppose to recalculate your route for your automatically. You should have to clear the route then place it again. I've had instances like that before but when I got closer to my destination, it calculated a better route. For me sometime when I drive somewhere far, I enter the destination before I leave but don't activate it until Im closer to it. I know my way around my area so I don't Navigate to my destination until later :)

2. Yes it is the same unless the maps were different but this wouldn't cause it to do that.

rerouting

Pedro,

The problem is that I went 45 of the 60 miles from point A to point B with the device telling me at every exit to turn around to go back to the original route. When I was 15 minutes to the destination I reset it, clearing out the original route completely. At that point it gave me the route from where I was on the highway.

1. Do others experience this problem?
2. Does this problem occur on other GPS's, e.g., Magellan.
3. If I changed the preferences from "the shortest route" to "the fatest route" would there be a difference (have yet to try this out).

Dave

I don't think I've ever had a problem with my ONE recalculating the route if I stray from the original route. It seems to instantly recalculate. Only time I had an issue was when the route took me over the Wilson Bridge from Maryland to VA. I was avoiding the bridge because of construction, and it kept trying to get me back to the bridge (since it is the best route into VA), but once I got into DC on 395, it stopped trying and gave me a route to my destination.

It's one of the things I like about my ONE. My buddy has a Magellan and it's constantly telling him to turn around.

Jim

Ask a Question