Auto On No Longer Works with v7?

700 power off

I have a 700 with docking unit wired into my car, with ver 6 it turned on and off, with ver 7 it turned on and would turn off if I enabled "off with power", but it would cycle over and over "shutting off" while the power was on, it never did. I thought I had a bad power connection in the dock unit, when I went back to ver 6 it works fine. I cannot use ver 7 because of this.

**SUPPOSEDLY** if you upgrade to the latest version of the TomTom application (different version number for each generation/model of TomTom, but they're all v7.XX), you will have both the auto-on and auto-off features.

I'm a retired IT/Network Engineer, and in my professional opinion TomTom has something screwy going on here with their product and product software development cycle. I highly suspect that they have different teams working on different models/generations of TomTom, including each model/generation's respective software. That's the only thing that can explain otherwise unexplainable missing features in the newer TomTom models/generations (like the GO720 not having auto-on when every previous GO model seems to have offered that), and then when they upgrade their software for the older GO models, they take away features that previous software version offered???? They either have separate development groups operating oblivious to the other groups, or they have one big group working on everything with poorly managed change control policies in place and releasing barely tested software.

I highly suspect ... They either have separate development groups operating oblivious to the other groups, or they have one big group working on everything with poorly managed change control policies in place and releasing barely tested software.

I test software for a living...it seems to me that their QA team does not do regression testing of new versions of their software or, if they do, the testing isn't very robust.

I did offer to be a beta tester for them on their website. Never heard back from them. Maybe, to paraphrase a line from the old movie, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, with Humphrey Bogart (told you it was old), "Testers? .... We don't need no stinking testers!" ;)

**SUPPOSEDLY** if you upgrade to the latest version of the TomTom application (different version number for each generation/model of TomTom, but they're all v7.XX), you will have both the auto-on and auto-off features.
Has anyone been able to confirm this? Has anyone been able to get auto-on working w/ v7.xx?

Has anyone been able to confirm this? Has anyone been able to get auto-on working w/ v7.xx?

Maybe it's just for the GO700? That would seem a tad silly. Not surprising...but still silly.

It definitely works (now after the update) with my GO700, but then again until the first v7 release, it always did work on my GO700, which is why I complained so much to TomTom about it.

I would be highly annoyed if I upgraded to a GO720 or GO920 and it didn't automatically turn on when I started the car. Why go backwards by removing features when releasing new models?

Why go backwards by removing features when releasing new models?

This is what I'm experiencing with my One 3rd Edition. While no version of the One will auto power on, all other versions of the One can be configured to auto power off on loss of external power. Only the One 3rd Edition cannot be made to auto power off.

:mad:

Ask a Question