Auto On No Longer Works with v7?

Internetpilot

TomTom Model(s)
GO700 (Updated)
Has anyone else noticed that the auto-on function (TomTom turns on when you start your car or connect it the dock when car is on) no longer works since updating to v7? I see they now have an enhanced auto-off function, but auto-on no longer works, and I don't see anywhere in the settings to enable it.

I haven't had a problem. As soon as I connect it to the car dock and its plugged in the unit turns on. Not sure why its not working for you.

Personally I think that option is annoying. Just my opinion.

Must either be something with the GO700 or a setting I've missed (or isn't documented well). For example, do each of you have the option to turn off the TomTom when it loses external power? I have that setting enabled, so maybe that stops it from automatically turning on for some reason. Do you get the turn-off countdown message when you turn off your cars?

I am also suspicious that it may have something to do with the battery not being fully charged. When I was upgrading and dinking around with the new application afterwards, I ran the battery down pretty low. Maybe it will only auto-on if the battery is fully charged?

Who knows? What's annoying to me is when a new version of an application takes away features instead of adding them.

Yes i get a count down when my car turns off.
I wish there was a setting to set the time for that warning.

The battery is now fully charged, but still no auto-on. I also went through all the various options in the menus to see if there was something I'm missing, and I'm definitely not. This seems to be only something TomTom can answer. Here's hoping they can correct it, as I'm getting rather tired of turning on my TomTom when it used to just come on every time I started up the car.

You are all liars (haha). The official word from TomTom Support:

With the new application version the auto power feature is not available. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

I told that that if this is true it is completely unacceptable. You do not take working, advertised features away by applying a software update. The very idea of that is completely ridiculous. Not to mention that you folks as well as several other GO owners on other forums have said that auto-on still works on their GO's. Unfortunately, no one that has a GO700 has responded yet. Even if it's just the GO700's, this is still a problem that TomTom needs to resolve. The auto-on feature worked just fine with v5 and v6 of the application, so it's just silly that it's "no longer available" in v7.

Same issue

I have a Go Classic that I upgraded to version 7 and also lost the auto on feature.

Due to this, and a few other issues, I went back to 6.5.2.

I was very disappointed to find my new GO 720 with version 7 software does not auto power on. I have a 12V outlet in my headliner that I installed specifically to operate the GPS. With my previous Garmin c320 it worked perfectly turning on with the accessory power and off with countdown after loss of power.

If the other tomtom units do this we should demand they release an update unless there is a good reason this is broken in ver 7.

I'm not sure about the other GO devices, but with v7.162 update I downloaded and installed today, my TomTom GO700 now has auto-on again. Kudos to TomTom for acknowledging the problem and solving it rather expediently!

Now, if I would just see some of my many MapShare corrections start kicking in....(specifically roads added since I'm in a rather new neighborhood).

My new 920 doens't have this feature. I really think that this should be a default feature for all units. I am running v7.221 and that is what it came with. My Dad's 920T doesn't auto turn as well and running the same version.

hopefully there is a firmwire fix for this.
So far it only works on the x00 and x10 range.

I have a One 3rd Edition. I don't miss it powering on automatically, but I do wish it would power off automatically. My cigarette lighter socket is powered with the ignition. My 10-year-old Garmin III+ powered down automatically when the lighter socket lost power (it would provide a 30-sec count-down, then power off). I wish the One would do the same, so that I don't have to worry about accidentally leaving it on and draining the One's battery.

Is this a 3rd party software opportunity or what? :rolleyes:

There's no such choice on the TomTom One 3rd Edition.

Does any version of the One auto power off?

no auto on on a GO 720...

... so what's the latest on this? I got a GO 720 for Christmas which is great fun, and my hardwire kit should arrive today or tomorrow. I would really like it to auto-on. More generally, what is TomTom's track record as far as fixing bugs goes when users report them? Thanks!

Ask a Question